Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some help, about to supplement..

Default I need some help, about to supplement..

Well my lo is 9w now and his eating like crazy. I can't pump for ever missed feeding, I can only pump twice for about 15min. But it's not enough. It's so hard to pump at home, he's eating or I have to see after the girls (dh works
    2nd shift). So i need some advice. Starting tomorrow I may have to give him 4 oz of formula per day until something changes.

Here are some of the things I am starting to do..
    1. Buy a bigger flange
    2. Instead of pumping each breast 7 mins, I will do one for the whole 15min and the next session do the other (I can get 2 let downs this way)
    3. Try (it's going to be almost impossible) to pump at least once when I get home from work.
    4. Pump at least 2 times on off days.

I am even starting to ask myself is it worth it. I don't know you guys. This is becoming more complicated than I planned. Also I don't think there is anything "wrong" with my supply, but do you think MOther's milk will hurt? Or Fenugreek? I was leaning more towards the Fenugreek b/c I have a cold and I hear that's also good for cold symptoms....

TIA
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: I need some help, about to supplement..

2. Instead of pumping each breast 7 mins, I will do one for the whole 15min and the next session do the other (I can get 2 let downs this way)
    This will lower your supply over time. You would probably have better results if you pump 3.5 min on each side and pump each side twice.

First off

Second, I was in your place with my second child and I thought that pumping one side would be better and within 2 weeks my supply was so low, I went to formula exclusively and weaned

Supplementing is not that bad. I fought it for 2 weeks and used every drop of frozen bm that I had to prevent it. Like it would kill my child or something. (I mean the first 2 made it didn't they?) The first bottle was tough, I went into our bedroom and fed him with the door closed. DH came in and didn't notice (since I had been giving EBM in a bottle for the previous 2 weeks) but he saw the tears. He gave me a big hug and said that it would be ok. He is VERY supportive and that has made all of the difference in the world!
    My DS took formula as if it were nothing new (hurt a little) but then I realized that it would be ok, if he had to have some formula, he has had approx 20 oz of formula in the last 3 weeks. and my supply is better than ever. I do not have to worry so much I know that there is always formula, as much as I do not want to use it. But it helped with the stress. When the stress left the milk came back

Someone on the forum said Breastfeeding does not have to be all or nothing, so I made that my mantra until my supply was back up. Every drop I could provide was better than all formula, I had even convinced myself that even if we only nursed at night and morning that would be ok. But like I said once the stress of hitting those numbers was gone magically the milk came back.

I will say I drink Mother's milk tea and eat oatmeal M-F when I pump and then on the weekend I NURSE, NURSE, NURSE! I did not like the fenugreek, it made me smell like maple syrup, but that was a personal preference.

Remember you are doing the best thing for your DS by providing him with all of the BM you can. You can do this.

This forum will help you it has helped me soooo much!

Oh wow, so today I did one side at a time, will it be ok? this is how ds feeds. How much mother's milk are you drink/day? Yeah I know formula won't kill him, but I think I feel like I have failed. My DH is also supportive. I have never feed my lo a bottle (others have) but just the thought of anything other than BM in them hurts!!! It's like our bond will be broken... I dunno...

Have you considered purchasing a double electric pump so you can pump both sides at the same time. You can get them reasonably priced at lactationcare.com or hackleyme.com.

If you plan on bf long term and working I would strongly recommend a double electric pump.

If you can, it might also be worth getting up at night to pump once. This usually helps your supply.

Good Luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Hi,

I would second the suggestion of a high-quality, double electric pump. You could try renting one from your local hospital to see if you like it first. If you qualify for WIC, you may be able to obtain a double electric pump for free, or very cheaply from your WIC office.

Some women whose job situations don't allow for much pumping have been successful with a pump that is worn under the clothing and collects milk throughout your work day. Whisper Wear is the only brand of pump like this that I am aware of, but there may be others. One mother in our local group was able to successfully pump for eight months this way, working full time doing heavy labor in a foundry.

Additionally, take a look at this link for other ideas to help you increase the amount of milk you are able to pump at work: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html .

And remember, your baby gets a lot more milk when nursing directly than when you pump. Increasing the amount of nursing you do when you are with your baby, especially night nursing, will increase your overall milk production and decrease your baby's dependence upon pumped milk when you are seperated. Many babies are able to "reverse cycle"...taking in the vast majority of there calories during the evening, nighttime, and early morning hours, and eating very little during the day.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

I was just telling a co-worker that I may have to go and get a double pump...but then I feel like I have wasted the money Ihave spent on the single one... and right now, buying a double pump doesn't fit into our budget.

So should I not take Mother's Milk?

Can you wake up in the middle of the night to pump? I used to do it around 12 or 1 a.m. My baby's 10 mo now... Believe me, it gets a lot easier! Hang in there! I know you know this... But ANY of your milk that you give your LO will help!

I know this is not recommended for health reasons... But do you have a coworker or friend who used to nurse and has a double pump you could borrow?
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Just a thought... If you supplemented 4 oz per day, how much would it cost in the long run?
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Fenugreek works really well to increase supply, and I know many moms take it to increase their pumping supply. I never had any luck w/ the tea.

I had a single pump and was eventually not able to pump anything using it. We have rented a double pump for the month and it seriously is WORTH the investment. I scroll through pictures on my phone of my baby while pumping and I can pump an amazing amount, and mind u I'm just doing it to help boost up my lowered supply.

I would do everything in your power to get your hands on a double electric.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09