Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby spitting up alot

Default Baby spitting up alot

Hello. My baby will be 3 weeks old on Thursday, and I have had a problem with him spitting up alot the past few days or so. I try to burp him after he eats, but he will either move around so he can get back to the breast or wont burp. My husband can get him to burp, but he's not here during the day. Also, the past few days he has seemed to be having tummy troubles. He will eat and then get really fussy and upset. It seems like maybe his tummy is bothering him and we try to burp him. Sometimes he will burp and feel better. I don't know if it is something I am eating or what is going on. I just don't know what to do!

Default Re: Baby spitting up alot

I don't have any advice since this is my 1st time BF...but my 5 week old has been the doing the same thing since about 3 weeks old. My dh is also the only one who can get him to burp but he's only here on weekends. I've read just about every post and article i can find on the subject. It seems as long as the baby is healthy (gaining weight, enough wet/dirty diapers) and is happy then there isn't much you can do.

I've tried feeding in the laying down position with my arm under his head so he is a little elevated. I lay him to sleep on his left side as much as possible (supposedly it helps with digestion). When I feed him sitting up, I have him at a 45 degree angle. There are a few holds suggested at kellymom.com (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fa...l#positioning). I just have him in cradle hold on my brestfriend pillow and cross my leg on the side with his head and it automatically elevates his head. I keep him at 45 degree angle as long as possible after feed.

Anytime I bounce him or jostle too much he spits up so I try to soothe him with more side to side swaying motions. I suspect he may have GERD (reflux issues) but not ready to try any medications yet. Hoping he will outgrow it in next few months and just dealing with lot of laundry right now. I will be discussing with dr at 2 month check.

Anyway, HTH! Good Luck...