Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

My DD will be 6 months June 3 and I have been bf the whole time. For about the past 2 weeks, I have had a MAJOR decrease in my milk supply. I have contacted the lactation consultant at my pediatrician's office and she recommended Fenugreek. I have used that for 5 days and while the second and third day I did ok, yesterday and today, I have had a decrease again. I tried to supplement my milk with formula, but DD was NOT having it. I was wondering a couple of things. First: does anyone have any ideas? And also, is there a formula that people have used to supplement their breast milk, that tastes similar or their babies don't seem to mind? I am trying so hard to continue bf, but it is getting frustrating. Thanks!
    Talia

Default Re: Help!

Talia, Can you please tell us why you believe your milk supply is decreased? That will help us evaluate what's going on a bit better.

Try not to supplement with formula as you effectively tell your breasts to make less milk when you do that.

Looking forward to your response.

I'm not sure exactly why it has decreased. DD hasn't wanted to nurse less and I still pump at the same time every day, while at work. Two weeks ago my husband was out of town, so that definitely attributed to it, but he has been back for a week and it has still not increased. So, honestly, I am at a loss as to why my milk has decreased.

I think you misunderstood the question. I don't think she was asking the reason why you think it decreased but more so how do you know the amount has decreased.

Hope I was able to explain it well.

Deb

Right, thanks Deb! Yes, Gabi's Mommy, can you tell us why you believe it has decreased? Is it because you're pumping output is less in the past 2 weeks? Or is it because baby is wanting to nurse non-stop? I'm trying to determine whether your supply truly is low and if so, why.

Sorry, I have been able to only pump out 1-3 ounces in a day.

OK, and that is down from what???

Keep in mind that many working & pumping mom's see a decrease in their milk supply around the 6 month mark.

Have you tried talking to the women on the working & pumping board?

I was able to pump 6-8 ounces a day, after breastfeeding the baby three times a day as well. I have talked to a co-worker who used to be a LLL leader.

OK - what kind of pump are you using? Is it old? Is it possible that your pump isn't working up to par anymore? Have you been sick or taking any medication? Are you sure you aren't dehydrated? All of these things can impact your supply.

Also, take a look at this page (not a LLL source), it may help: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

Let us know if you still have questions or concerns