Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self Weaning

Default Self Weaning

Is it possible that a boy at 7 months self wean himself? For the past two days my lo has refused to nurse. THen after a morning I had to give him formula and he drank it in a sec. I know he is teething cos he cut his first 2 teeth. I tried to express but only managed to get 2oz!! Should i supplement with formula in the meantime. Also he is refusing solids completely.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: Self Weaning

It might just be a nursing strike. Or, if he is teething or ill it may not be comfortable to nurse. Here is a link.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

thanks for the helpful link. He isasleep now i had to give him 40z formula. He had diarrhea too probably he is cuttin more teeth.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Keep pumping. Massage and compressions can help with pumping output. Any breastmilk you can give him is better than nothing. I've had good luck with nursing when DS had just fallen asleep or during the night when he was striking. It can also help to give the ebm in a small cup rather than bottle so their sucking needs aren't being met (encouraging them back to the breast.)

Strikes are rough. However I don't know that you need to give him formula....at 7months old he can be trusted not to starve himself. I have two friends here who have dealt with major strike issues and while it can be very taxing and worrisome (and feel like a personal rejection) most children at this age will eventually eat. Especially if they are NOT presented with another option. It just usually works that that they will only eat while very sleepy or while asleep. So while you may get less sleep. your child will still get your milk. I know both my friends have managed numerous strikes with no formula....I will go see if I can find one of them....

Way too lazy for formula