Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and introducing solids

Default Breastfeeding and introducing solids

Hi there

My baby is almost 6 mos old and there r signs that he is ready for solids. When i start introducing solids and cutting down on nursing during the days, i presume the body adjusts accordingly?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and introducing solids

When i start introducing solids and cutting down on nursing during the days
    Remember that for baby's first year your milk should remain the primary source of nutrition, therefore offer the breast before offering solids.

Your milk supply works on demand so your body will adjust just fine, unless you cut drastically on nursing.

In my experience I didn't cut down on nursings and my DS does eat plenty solids, the only difference is that when we go out sometimes I can go longer between nurses but he will pick up the pace later. Also my nursing sessions became a little shorter but he does snacks on my breast frequently so maybe that's why.

Congratulation!! You're almost pass the sixth month milestone!

These are some links about introducing solids:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

thanks, kathy.

another question: do bf babies not sleep through the nite??!!! just last nite, my DH said he heard bb wake up almost every hour from about 3am but i was so zonked out from severe sleep deprivation (becos he's been waking up every 2 to 3 hours the past week, not nec to feed) i didn't hear him at all!!!! in fact, his feeding is so erratic. some nites he wakes up once, some nites, twice or 3x. it's exhausting.

how do we get bb to not nurse so much at nite, if that's at all possible??!

Hi there!

At about this age, babies start to go through seperation anxiety...You can tell this by putting him down on the floor and walking into a different room. As he sees you leave he will more than likely begin to cry, and smile when you return. Breastfed babies wake more at night to eat (most do anyway!) because breastmilk gets digested much faster than formula. Remember, he is still very little, and growing so he may actually need to eat in the middle of the night! I understand your sleep deprivation, my son at 8.5 months wakes every 2 hours, sometimes more, to eat at night, but we co-sleep so I wake up just enough to get him my breast and then go back to sleep.

HTH

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by snort
    do bf babies not sleep through the nite??!!!
    Some do, some don't. Well, all do eventually, but it can take longer than you might be happy to wait. My son is 13.5 mo and doens't "sleep through". Things are getting better though, since he's now going 5-6 hour stretches (which is a huge improvement over every 1-2 hours). The thing is, not all ff babies sleep through the night. I hear so many moms complaing: "I don't understand! He doens't sleep through, and he's not evey breastfed!" lol Formula can actually make babies' tummies upset or gassy and cause sleep problems. On average, though, ff babies do sleep longer sooner because formula is harder to digest and sticks around in thier tummies longer making them feel full.

Default Re: Breastfeeding and feeling the blues??

bb is 6 mos and i took a sabbatical to look after him. being a mature mum, i felt i didn't have many years left for another child and he might well be my last. (i have an older stepDD age 10).

at first i was doing well, but lately, i've felt resentful occasionally at nites when i have only 1 to 2 hours sleep per block of time. bb doesn't want anyone else when he sleeps, so it comes down to me to comfort him. plus i find it hard to get back to sleep when he eventually sleeps and by the time i do, he's up again in an hour or two.

i've always been an outgoing person and suddenly i find myself tied down by bf n confined to the house more, esp at nites when my social life is about NIL. i've gone berserk 2x in the past month with my DD over her rudeness n bad attitude. I don't think my DH understands.

The best way to encourage a bf baby to sleep longer at night is to bf more often druing the day (sometimes refered to as "tanking up" the baby). The idea is that the baby will be less hungry and won't need to wake as often.

Is co-sleeping an option? It has seriously saved my sanity and probably my marriage. Ds starts out sleeping in his crib in my room, then when he wakes up he comes in bed with me. I find it very easy to fall asleep while nursing him. He stays in the bed with us until we all get up in the morning. My advice would be "don't knock it till you try it". It's probably not the perfect solution, but imo it's a darn sight better than any other option.

Breastmilk is definitely the most important thing the first year, even after solids are introduced. My 7.5 mos DS usually eats twice a day (rice cereal mixed with EBM and a litle fruit or veggie mixed in), and he still nurses about every 2 hours, 24 hours a day.

I agree that co-sleeping has saved my sanity. He still nurses every 1-3 hours during the night, but I wake up to turn my breast in his direction for him to latch on, then I fall back to sleep almost right away.

I understand about not having a night life. My little one goes down around 8 or so but I pretty much have to stay by his side because if he wakes up and I'm not there, he cries. So, I stay on the top floor of our two story house reading or putting laundry away or spending time with my 10 yr DS and if little one wakes up I run and let him see me then he goes back to sleep. Meanwhile, my DH is in the basement watching TV. I'd love to be down there with him snuggling on the couch, but for now, while little one is little, I stay close. My husband and I will have our whole lives to snuggle up, but our little one will only need me like this for a short time and eventually I'll wish he still needed me this much. It's definitely worth the sacrafice.

Deb

Feorsteorra/Deb, tried the co-sleeping thingy but gave up after 5 days becos NO ONE got any sleep, incl baby. i found he woke up even more! plus he's such a roll-over type baby that i find myself squeezed into a corner becos this wee man takes up the entire space and i'm afraid he might roll out of bed. so much for good sleep!

As for tanking up, i've tried too. this wee one feeds every 2 - 3 hours but only for 5 min (efficient?) on only one side per time and if he drinks too much, he might regurgitate or burp it up. I try to tank him up at bedtime tho and if he wakes up a few hours later. last nite, he woke up for a feed at 9.30pm and to my surprise, slept till 4am!!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and feeling the blues??

Quote Originally Posted by snort
    at first i was doing well, but lately, i've felt resentful occasionally at nites when i have only 1 to 2 hours sleep per block of time. bb doesn't want anyone else when he sleeps, so it comes down to me to comfort him. plus i find it hard to get back to sleep when he eventually sleeps and by the time i do, he's up again in an hour or two.
    I am reading a book right now that has been very helpful.
    It's called "the no-cry sleep solution" By; Elizabeth Pantley

Good luck, Sara