Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did your lo start to self wean?

Default When did your lo start to self wean?

My lo is only a little over eleven months, that seems kind of young to me to self wean but lately he is just not interested in nursing at all. I still offer it to him about every three hours but usually he just doesn't want to. Like today, he only nursed three times, usually he does five or six times. I just tried to feed him before he went to bed and he didn't want to. I'm feelin a little rejected...

Default Re: When did your lo start to self wean?

Before you assume its that your baby is rejecting you, think about these questions:
    Is my baby teething?
    Is he sick?
    Has his environment changed?

Hi cadensmommy,
    How active is he lately? Is he learning new motor skills? Sometimes at around the age of one they get so busy that they nurse much less during the day. Some are willing nurse but they need some reminding, some go through a period of wanting to be so active, they can hardly be bothered to slow down to nurse. Night nursing can increase as a result as they try to "make up" for lost time at night. It's OK to go with the flow. It's also OK to do some gentle reminding and frequent offering, depending on your nursing goals.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Before you assume its that your baby is rejecting you, think about these questions:
    Is my baby teething?
    Is he sick?
    Has his environment changed?
    nope, nope, and nope. Well I sure hope he isn't teething again!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLMaryP View Post
    Hi cadensmommy,
    How active is he lately? Is he learning new motor skills? Sometimes at around the age of one they get so busy that they nurse much less during the day. Some are willing nurse but they need some reminding, some go through a period of wanting to be so active, they can hardly be bothered to slow down to nurse. Night nursing can increase as a result as they try to "make up" for lost time at night. It's OK to go with the flow. It's also OK to do some gentle reminding and frequent offering, depending on your nursing goals.
    Mary
    He really isn't more active than usual. The only thing different is that he is trying harder to walk, but he's been working on that for months now. The think that worries me is that he doesn't ever wake up to night nurse. Right now I am actually waking him up at night a few hours after he goes to bed just to get one more feeding in. I just worry that if he is only nursing two or three times a day he isn't getting enough milk as he's always been a small baby and weight gain has always been an issue for him.

I was wondering about the teething because William is working on some lower teeth right now.
    How many dipes?

It sounds like a nursing strike to me. My son had one at the same age. It lasted 12 days We had to spoon-feed him EBM. It will pass. It is my understanding that they don't self-wean at least before 18-24 months. Even rare occasions of self-weaning does not happen until 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cadensmommy View Post
    The think that worries me is that he doesn't ever wake up to night nurse. Right now I am actually waking him up at night a few hours after he goes to bed just to get one more feeding in. I just worry that if he is only nursing two or three times a day he isn't getting enough milk as he's always been a small baby and weight gain has always been an issue for him.
    This sounds exactly like my daughter, Hannah, who turned 1 today.

Over the last few months, Hannah has been losing interest in BF. Recently, she has even started to push my breast away so that she can suck her thumb instead! She is occasionally receptive to a very brief nursing session first thing in the morning, and I also wake her to BF at night, when she is less likely to resist. Even when she refuses to BF, I still cuddle her against my breast and sing to her as she sucks her thumb.

I really wanted to BF for more than a year, but it seems DD has other ideas. You can lead a horse to water...
    Last edited by new_mama; September 25th, 2007 at 09:57 PM.

I also think it's a nursing strike. My opinion would be to keep trying. Don't give up. If you don't want to wean then keep trying. It might take a week or 2 or 3 but you know your baby best and if you feel it could be a strike then keep offering. Best time to try would be night and early morning. You can also try a dark room where there are no distractions. That worked for me when mine was 9 -10 mos old and too busy to be bothered. She is 2 now and still going strong. Good luck!!!

nursing strike

I don't know anything about them. So do I need to be pumping or should I just continue to offer to feed him? He is nursing at least three times a day, is that enough for him?

btw, Happy Birthday Hannah!!

I would say first offer, if he rejects pump in order to keep your supply. I will suggest nursing him at night in his sleep just to make sure (once or twice) since 3 times a day may or may not be enough.