Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ped. rant about extended breastfeeding...

Default Ped. rant about extended breastfeeding...

At DD's 15 month visit last week her ped. said DD needs to be drinking whole milk for the fat for brain development. I told her she is still breastfeeding twice daily and gets Nutramigen twice in the day as well. (She's on the Nutram. because of milk/soy allergy and we're in the process of weaning.) And when she nurses it's at least 10 minutes or longer. So she tells me this and gets me freaked out because she says whole milk is necessary for brain dev. and higher IQ, basically implying that she was worried about her. I was so upset by this, because i haven't given her any milk/soy yet thinking i had been doing the right thing. She also said that breast milk isn't as nutritious after one year of age which makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why at one would it suddenly change?
    Thank goodness i found you ladies here and now realize that she doesn't even need milk yet. We are trying yogurt now to see if she can handle it and maybe cheese soon also. I'm just so mad that her ped. scared me like that when human milk is obviously better than cow's milk. Just wish i'd been thinking clearly enough to tell her that at the time.

Anyway, just wanted to say i'm glad i found this site and have other women to talk to about these things.

Lisa

Default Re: Ped. rant about extended breastfeeding...

Uggh, unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me. Welcome BTW!
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

I would tell her that you don't skim the cream off of your bm....it is whole human milk...

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Ughh! Babies/toddlers do need fat for brain development, but it OF COURSE doesn't have to come from a cow?!?! How ridiculous is that? It could come from anywhere as long as she gets it. AND, I'm pretty sure human milk and nutrimagen both actually have MORE fat than whole cow's milk. Ughh again!

If baby is on Nutramigen for a dairy allergy how does the doc think baby will handle the milk??!??

oh - and
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

FYI: Human milk is up to 10% milkfat. And cow's milk is only up to 4% milkfat.

She must have misread somewhere that Human Milk is not good for humans and that cows milk is better. LOL

If baby is on Nutramigen for a dairy allergy how does the doc think baby will handle the milk??!??
    I was wondering the same thing myself!!