Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discouraged

Default discouraged

Hi there,

I'm the mom of a beautiful baby boy 12 days old and I'm facing problems with bf.
    I don't know if I'm getting worried for no reasons since he seems to be a happy baby, and doesn't cry at all... One week after the birth, he had gained 200 grams, but now I'm worried things start to go bad.

One of my problems is that he's always asleep. Today for example, he fed only 4 times, and during one of the feedings he fell asleep straight away.
    Is that normal?

Secondly, when he is on the breast, I'm under the impression that he sucks but often I can't here the swallowing noise. Is it possible that he is drinking but I am not aware of it?

And finally, my nipples are very painful, and when feeding time comes, I'm stressed and I am reluctant to let the baby put his mouth on my breast. It's such an horrible feeling to have baby crying of hunger and being paralysed from fear of the pain...

I don't know what to do... I hope to get some help... thanks a lot.

A mom in distress.

Default Re: discouraged

Little babies are often sleep babies. I would work to keep him awake more. I woke DD up every 2 hours during the day to feed her. I used a damp wash cloth on her head to keep her awake for the feeding. I also tickled her feet to remind her she was nursing. The main concern is output. If you are getting about 6 wet diapers a day he is getting enough milk!!

If he has enough wet diapers you don't have to worry about hearing him swallow.

Do you have someone who can check your latch? The baby should have a lot of breast in his mouth. I would call your local LLL leader and ask for help with the sore nipples. That is what they are there for! You want to make sure that the baby is latching correctly. You want to make sure he opens his mouth wide and gets a big mouthful. His lower lip should be curled outward.

Congratulations on your new baby! This is an exciting time, I'm sure, for you and your family.

Remember the signs of a baby that gets enough milk:
    (1) Nurses 8 to 12 times a day;
    (2) Has 6 to 8 wet and 3 to 4 messy diapers a day; and
    (3) Gains weight appropriately (do weight-checks at the MD if needed)

It's difficult to wake up a sleeping baby and to keep a sleepy baby awake! New babies are often very sleepy -- this is not so unusual. But, babies who fall asleep during feedings and don't wake themselves up often enough to feed might need Mom's help. This is a critical time for your milk supply! It's more precious than gold!

Here are some ideas for keeping a baby awake during feedings:
    (1) Change baby's diaper before feeding;
    (2) Turn up the lights during daytime feedings;
    (3) Talk to him (or to someone else) during the feeding;
    (4) Try breast compressions during the feeding;
    (5) Rub his hands and feet while he's nursing;
    (6) When he falls asleep, burp him then switch sides; and
    (7) Keep him latched even after he falls asleep; you may notice your milk continue to let down every 20 minutes or so.

After about 6 weeks of good nursing, you will probably feel okay about letting him sleep as long and as often as he wants. It takes at least this long before milk supply is well established.

Now, about the sore nipples. Girlfriend, I've been there!! It hurts horribly! I had a lot of nipple pain with my twins. I think this was because when I nursed them together, it was difficult for me to use my hands to support their heads and my breast - I wasn't able to keep a good latch throughout the feeding. Also (not scientific, just my opinion) my nipples are fairly large in diameter and my babies' mouths were teensy, so I think there was no way to prevent my nipple from rubbing the tops of their mouths, even with an excellent latch. (Anyone have experience with this?)

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

(1) Kind of obvious, but make sure you have a proper latch. You can call a La Leche League leader to come observe. They want to come help you.
    (2) Use ibuprofen to keep on top of the pain.
    (3) Use Lansinoh on your nipples after every shower and after every feeding. You don't need to wipe it off before nursing. Sore nipples can be aggravated by dry skin; Lansinoh helps with this. You can buy it at stores like Target.
    (4) Suck it up! I know this sounds harsh, but sometimes, it just plain hurts to nurse at first. Cry whenever you need to, if that helps. Your milk supply demands that you deal with the pain and let your baby nurse any time he wants, for as long as he wants.
    (5) Some people have success replacing some feedings with a pumping session. This didn't work for me, though.

Good luck! I'm interested to hear how things progress!

heyhey, go you! it sound lkike you're doing a gd job so far...happy baby, good weight gain...but i know how you feel; as a first time mummy i was also very concerned about whether my baby was getting enough.

for the first few weeks my baby was also a sleepy little thing; i'd try to keep her awake during nursing by constanly burping, changing her diaper before feeding, tickling, rolling her ear, using a damp cloth to wipe her face and hair and holding her in the cradle hold position.

i also had latching problems in the beginning, and my left nipple got sore and cracked. it was painful to look at, and even more so when nursing, but i was determined to carry on, so I just slapped on the PureLan and continued. I also blew some good money on a set of nipple shields that i only used once. meh. but anyways our first few weeks was spent just breastfeeding and any time in b/w i would be online reading up how-to articles and trolling the forums to find out more.

come on mommy, you can do it!

mpoulson said it right...congrats again..
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

An improper latch can cause pain. What do your nipples look like when he is done feeding?

Hello there,

Thx a lot for your answers... Today the midwife's going to come and weigh the baby, and I really hope everything will be fine.
    I have tried since yesterday another position that seem to work more than the traditionnal one, I am sure now that this pain is due to improper latch of the baby.
    To answer the last question, my nipples are shiny pink even in between the feeds, and there are some cracks, but not yet that bad... still I find it very painful and the only idea to have to feed baby again after 4 hours stresses me out a lot.
    I've been to a support group this morning, and I've been advised to let baby suck on just 1 breast at each feed, for 1 hour, and even if he falls asleep to let him on the breast.
    I'm wondering though if that's not going to cause me problems of engorgement with the other breast that will stay full for a long time.
    Has anyone here been given similar advice?
    I hope I won't give up ... I sometimes wonder if this whole breastfeeding thing is really worth it... Anyway, I'm giving it a try again and hope that it will get better, straight away I can't even think in term of weeks or days but how many feedings I will bear with that pain.

Hope to hear from you.

Leyla

To answer the last question, my nipples are shiny pink even in between the feeds, and there are some cracks, but not yet that bad... still I find it very painful and the only idea to have to feed baby again after 4 hours stresses me out a lot.
    This could be a sign of thrush. Ask the midwife about it. Thrush (a yeast infection that lives in baby's mouth, on your nipples, and can invade your milk ducts) can be hard to diagnose, but it does cause pink/red/itchy/shiney/burning nipples and a VERY painful latch. It can also cause a white film to be on baby's mouth and tongue. It is treated easily with antifungal meds for mom and baby. You don't have to have all those symptoms to have thrush. I had it for weeks and baby never showed any signs, which led to misdiagnosis.
    Hope everything goes well with the midwife visit.

Firstly...

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about thrush...

But my baby slept continuously and even cold water dripped on to his body couldn't keep him awake sometimes. The sleeping is pretty normal IMHO.

mpoulson pretty much covered everything else.

Keep up the good work! You can do it!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I think your supply will adjust if you want to do it that way. When my lo was a newborn I used to alternate at feedings too, instead of offering both. The only thing with that is that there is probably a maximum amount of time you should go without emptying the breast although I'm not exactly sure of what that would be. I'll try to find some info on that....