Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this doing the baby any good?

Default Is this doing the baby any good?

My baby girl was 6 wks early and formula feed from the begining b/c my milk didnt start to come in until 5 days. I still only get 2 oz a day from pumping and then feed her that. Is this doing her any good at all? She wont latch on for long enough b/c she tires out easily. It takes up so much time to pump 30 mins every 3 hrs to only get so little so I am trying to decide to keep doing it or not.

Default Re: Is this doing the baby any good?

You know, any breast milk is good.

dd#1 had the sam,e issue - she was in NICU for a week - and bottle fed so they could see how much she was getting. She was so tired from breathing that she didn;t have it in her to suck. I pumped and pumped - and did what I could - and we were happy with it. I would get with a LLL leader in your area and come up with some solutions.

Congrats on the new baby! Kudos for you on your commitment to breastfeed your baby!

I understand the frustration of having to pump for a NICU baby, I had to do it for both of my children. Thankfully they never recieved formula, although my milk came in late with my first. It didn't come in until I actually put him to my breast, then whoa! Look out!

How old is the baby now? Is she still getting tired when she is put to the breast? Are you able to use a Supplemental Nursing System? Putting the baby to the breast would increase your supply, and using the SNS would make sure that baby is getting all the nutrition she needs while your milk supply builds up. You would after awhile exclusively breast feed if you so choose. Was/is this your goal? Any drop of breastmilk that your baby gets is very beneficial, especially since she was a preemie.

I suggest the SNS, and contact your local LLL or call an LC. You may even be able to get your insurance to cover the cost for these things, you just need a script from the doctor (this all depends on where you live). You just have to ask!

Take care!
    Sarah

She is 3 wks old and since she has had the bottle so much she isnt interested in the breast. She latches on for a minute and then is mad that she didnt get any like the bottle. I dont want to take the chance of her wasting calories doing this. She has done really well with the formula. She has grown so much already! I would like to just be able to pump more for her but the fengreek didnt work and reglan just isnt an option for me. I dont want to take the chance of the depression that it can cause.

I would really try the SNS. She would get the formula while at the breast. There are teas, tonics, pills you can take, but putting baby at the breast is the best way to get the milk flowing. Your hormones are still high, so this could work WONDERFULLY! Also if you used the SNS with her, she wouldn't have to work so hard to get the milk out of the breast, and then when you are done feeding her you could pump and use that for the next SNS feeding. Also just letting her hang out at the breast and suck for comfort would help.

there is something called "mothers lactation tonic" by herb pharm that worked wonders for me to increase my supply. You can find it at whole foods, or your local natural health food store could order it if they do not have it on hand.

Whatever you do pump for her is wonderful. 2 oz is better than nothing!