Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Beans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634

    Question Beans

    Hi.. when can I give my 9mo beans? Can I give him canned baked beans? Will there be problems with gas?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,467

    Default Re: Beans

    Well....I'm not going to say you can give him canned beans because I don't think you should feed your baby anything canned personally. But BEANS I am a huge fan of. We Started do doing whole pinto beans between 8&9months. I waited until after a year to do refried because I didn't want him exposed to animal lard until after that point. Yes they make him gassy. They do that to everybody don't they? But the great thing about being a baby is you don't have to worry about any of that stuff. Good luck!

    Way too lazy for formula

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: Beans



    Beans are great for LO practicing their pincer grip.

    We gave DS beans that I either made from scratch (very easy - just a bit tome consuming) or canned beans with NO SALT and I'd rinse the beans in a colander before using them.

    LO are not supposed to be eating salty foods - way to hard on their developing kidneys. If you do use canned foods, I personally suggest checking the sodium content.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

  4. #4
    MoMmY316 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: Beans

    what i do when i make pinto beans is i soak them the nite before and that helps with the gassiness thats what my mother has always done and i think it works so u might try that...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634

    Default Re: Beans

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Well....I'm not going to say you can give him canned beans because I don't think you should feed your baby anything canned personally.
    Where Im from we dont get a lot of beans, or eat a lot of them. So only canned baked beans came to mind.

    But we can get kidney beans, that I know. How should I prepare kidney beans? Any suggestion?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Beans

    are they dried?
    I would soak them, maybe over night.
    and then boil them in a pan just to warm them up.
    I hate lima beans they are so dry inside.
    I like black beans so much beter then lima....!
    beans should be fine at that age, you just don't want canned beans with added stuff in them, watch the labels.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,467

    Default Re: Beans

    Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post
    Where Im from we dont get a lot of beans, or eat a lot of them. So only canned baked beans came to mind.

    But we can get kidney beans, that I know. How should I prepare kidney beans? Any suggestion?
    Yes how Andrea said to prepare them is right and I think Fresh kidney bean over anything canned for your baby would be the way to go! Where you go to buy Kidney beans in bulk, they don't sell Pinto or Navy as well?

    Way too lazy for formula

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Beans

    Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post
    Hi.. when can I give my 9mo beans? Can I give him canned baked beans? Will there be problems with gas.
    Research shows that canned is nutritious (comparable to fresh)!
    http://forums.llli.org/showpost.php?...1&postcount=63


    I wouldn't recommend "baked beans" since they likely have lots of sugar and other unnecessary additives. I would recommend pintos, cannelini, great northern, black, ect. If you can find "no salt" versions where you're at, definitely go that route.

    HTH!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634

    Default Re: Beans

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Yes how Andrea said to prepare them is right and I think Fresh kidney bean over anything canned for your baby would be the way to go! Where you go to buy Kidney beans in bulk, they don't sell Pinto or Navy as well?
    Ive never even heard of Pinto, Lima and Navy beans before I started researching baby food! I have never seen them sold here. All we get are kidney, and those tiny red and green beans.. which we call - red and green beans - not sure if they go by other names. So I guess I will settle for kidney beans.

    Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    Research shows that canned is nutritious (comparable to fresh)!
    http://forums.llli.org/showpost.php?...1&postcount=63

    I wouldn't recommend "baked beans" since they likely have lots of sugar and other unnecessary additives. I would recommend pintos, cannelini, great northern, black, ect. If you can find "no salt" versions where you're at, definitely go that route.
    More beans Ive never heard of!

    Thanks for the links, interesting discovery!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: Beans

    Vegetarian refried beans are a great choice if you're trying to avoid lard. If you had a little bit of olive oil to the beans it will help with the gas and also introduce a very healthy fat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •