Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk choking Ds- Vent...

Default Milk choking Ds- Vent...

Please allow me to vent, I'm so sad and frustrated. I had a post here a few back and right at this moment I'm ready to cry. I thought it would be a great idea to start pumping milk to save for work and now I'm having a nightmare time feeding my ds. I've created an overactive supply, I guess.

Every time he goes to feed, he chokes and cries and screams (because the milk chugging causes burps). It's so frustrating. He's not seeming to eat enough.

Now I've been trying to block feed but heck, he doesn't eat very long. My boobs are sore from him not feeding from them and I'm so confused about the right thing to do. It's hard to block feed when he won't feed to begin with. I'm terrified to pump anything because that's what caused this problem.

Whine, whine. THank you for letting me vent. I want so badly to know what to do. I don't want DH to have to give him bottles of pumped milk. I don't want to pump milk!!! I never should have started this pumping thing!!! Sorry, thanks for listening!

Wendy

Default Re: Milk choking Ds- Vent...

I'm sorry you are so sad and frustrated, Wendy. If all else fails, repeat the mommy-mantra: "This too shall pass." Because it will

I wouldn't worry about the length of time your baby spends at the breast. Many babies can get every thing they need in a matter of just a few minutes. To gauge if he's getting enough, look at his output -- wet & poopy diapers. Are they adequate?

Also, you can try putting baby to breast and then taking him off once your milk starts to let-down. Let your milk spray into a towel and then put baby back to the breast. You can also use gravity to your advantage and lie on your back with baby on top of you when you nurse. Continue with the block feeding -- if you've got a true oversupply, the block feeding will help although it may take a few weeks to see results.

Hang in there! You're doing great

Thank you for the encouragement! We had several longer feedings today where he didn't struggle and cry and have too much discomfort to eat. I will be patient and hope he isn't too hungry!

Glad to hear things are going better! Keep us posted and vent all you want .

My son has gone from 7.5lbs to 13 lbs in 7 weeks. Is that too much weight gain? If so, does this mean I've probably had an oversupply problem for the whole time?

I'm still having bad burping troubles a few times a day because he's gulping. But sometimes he's taking both breasts because he's so hungry so how do I block feed like that? Do I start with the same breast for several hours? if so, how many hours?

Thank you!

Average weight gain for a breastfed baby is between 4 and 7 oz. per week. There really is not such thing as "too much" when it comes to weight gain, although gaining rapidly can indicate that baby is receiving a lot of foremilk (conversely, slow weight gain can also indicate the same thing!).

The longer you leave your baby at one breast, the more milk that breast will make because it's being stimulated more. However, an empty breast makes milk faster which means the fat in it has less time to adhere to the walls of the milk ducts....which basically means that baby would be getting the fattier, richer hindmilk earlier in the feed than he would otherwise.

It's suggested that block feeds start with 2-3 hour blocks and increase from there if you aren't seeing results.

HTH!

Your son has gained an average of 12.5 oz. per week, which is quite a bit higher than the average 5-6 oz. most babies his age gain. This may be completely normal for him or it may indicate an oversupply issue. It is hard to say. But if he has other symptoms, then it could be oversupply. Have you checked out the above FAQ on oversupply?

The idea of block feeding is only offering one breast during a designated time period. Most moms start with 2-3 hours. They only use one breast during that time. The other side will downgrade. Then during the next block of time they only use the other side and the first side will downgrade. It will take some time to see a change in supply. At least several days, maybe longer.

If ds is hungry, put him back to the same side. It is truly never "empty". This is the way to tell the unused side to "slow down production!" A full breast will not make anymore once it gets so full. An empty breast says- "time to make more milk!"

HTH!

I just re-read the info on oversupply and milk ejection force. I think he's getting the "Garden hose" effect and gulping. Then about 5 minutes into it, he has a monster burp built up and wails in pain. Unfortunately, they are hard to get out at that point.

Anyway, I was reading about a "scissors hold" on your nipple. How do you do that while they are feeding? Since he has most of it in his mouth, are there any tips on how to do that? I've tried all the other suggestions and we still are having major struggles!

Thank you! You all are so nice and helpful here!