Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question

Default Question

Thomas had his very first food ever this morning (avocado). He wasn't interested in picking it up, but did take some from me on a spoon. He did great, no problems swallowing (no tongue thrust), but has been spitting up more than usual today. Has anyone else had this happen? Now I'm concerned that maybe the baby mush we've planned to avoid may be the way to go. It's not really what I want to do, but I also realize that his body has to get accustomed to eating too, so trying not to make any rash decisions. He'll be six months this week and does have mild reflux, in case that makes a difference. Thanks!

Default Re: Question

I think avocado may be to blame. It is a super food granted but pretty heavy too. I would try a little bit of banana (in 3 days for following allergy reasons) and see if it makes any difference.

I agree and reflux babies will sometimes just do beter to wait untill later.
    You'll find out what works for baby! he's very young yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    Thomas had his very first food ever this morning (avocado). He wasn't interested in picking it up, but did take some from me on a spoon. He did great, no problems swallowing (no tongue thrust), but has been spitting up more than usual today. Has anyone else had this happen? Now I'm concerned that maybe the baby mush we've planned to avoid may be the way to go. It's not really what I want to do, but I also realize that his body has to get accustomed to eating too, so trying not to make any rash decisions. He'll be six months this week and does have mild reflux, in case that makes a difference. Thanks!
    If your baby did not pick the food up on his own, that is an indication that he's not ready to deal with solids if you were planning on going with baby led. The idea that his body needs to get "accustomed to eating" is incorrect. If you put food in front of your child and he doesn't pick it up on his own, than he isn't ready to deal with it. Put it away and try again next week with something different. If he still isn't ready try again in another week. It is completely possible to just follow their Ques and allow them to self feed when ready. He let you know he wasn't ready. I tried for 3 weeks in a row before DJ put anything in his own mouth. We waited. When he put it in his own mouth, he dealt with it on his own. Eating mush does not teach anyone how to "cope" with real food. It's just extra work for you.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks everyone! I'm not a baby-led purist; I'm pretty flexible about whatever works. We'll give it some time and see how it goes.