Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thank you and a Question

Default Thank you and a Question

First of all, if it wasn't for all the support and information I've found here, I never would have nursed this long. Thank you all so much!

My question is, now that Mady is 1, is there any real reason I need to start her on cow's milk? She still nurses 5 times a day and eats plenty of yogurt and cheese.
    I also have a huge freezer stash that I'm worried will never get used up, should I just put a bit of that in a sippy cup for her during her meals just so she gets a bit of extra milk during the day? Thanks

MoMmY316 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Thank you and a Question

my LL lady said i could keep nursing and just introduce milk every now and then....i think what im going to do is just keep nursing till she weans her self and then start milk in sippy cup i think its up to u

You absolutely don't have to give her cow's milk. In fact, in my opinion it is better not to. Cow's milk inhibits the absorption of iron when taken together with iron-rich food and it may also lead to tiny bleedings in little children's intestines that can lead to anemia. If she nurses 5 times a day and eats yogurt and cheese she won't need any cow's milk.
    As for the freezer stash: I take one bag of milk out of the freezer every day and put it in my son's cup with his lunch. So when he gets thirsty during his lunch he drinks his milk instead of water and gets some extra nutrition.

You could also use your freezer stash in cooking - for sauces, custards etc or use it on breakfast cereal instead of cows milk. It's waaay to precious to waste!
    Well done on reaching a year - I hope you get to carry on as long as you both wish.

my LO is 16 months and does not have cow's milk, apart from the occasional sip from her daddy's banana and milk smoothie; she does have cheese and yogurt, and lots of breastmilk mainly during the night.

on reaching the year.

And happy birthday Mady (ok, a little late... !)

Thanks ladies! I don't know why I felt the need to have such a large stash, I don't know if I'll ever be able to use it all! Good idea using it for cooking!