Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help...seperating milk?

Default need help...seperating milk?

Last night I tried to pump around midnight and only got Anywho. MAYBE almost 2oz. I put that in the fridge. Then I took it out right from the fridge around 5am and added some more milk. When my hubby took it out of the fridge this morning and warmed it, the milk seperated...

so my question is...can I combine my milk? Did I do something wrong...or am I doomed to filling 1-2oz bags all the time.

Default Re: need help...seperating milk?

The cold makes the fat separate from the thinner milk. Totally normal. You can combine fresh milk once it is the same temperature.
    ok wait, you are saying the milk separated once it was warm? What exactly do you mean by separated?

I combine milk. I have to in order to get a full bottle. The milk usuallt does seperate. That's normal...just give it a swril
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    The cold makes the fat separate from the thinner milk. Totally normal. You can combine fresh milk once it is the same temperature.
    ok wait, you are saying the milk separated once it was warm? What exactly do you mean by separated?
    well whatever i had in there from midnight was cold when i took it out of the fridge...i hooked it to my BP and pumped in fresh with the cold...put it back in the fridge. Hubby took it out in the AM, warmed it and even after shaking it, it seemed like there was stuff sticking all around the bottle (assuming that it had seperated) and he said that it wasn't good, and I shouldn't combine milk like that? does that make sense? it's frustrating b/c he threw like 4 oz. away...and it took me soooo long to get it!

Don't throw it out! To ease your dh's mind, chill the milk before combining. Then, instruct him to warm then swirl the milk to combine. Separated milk (even milk clinging to the sides) is not bad. It's normal for the "cream" to separate. Also, know that spoiled milk is obvious!! It smells soured, just as soured cow's milk does.

It's not a bad idea to store in smaller quantities. This means less waste.

Wait...shaking it? It could be that he shook it so much that your milk fat started turning to butter. Yes, really! Please remind your dh to swirl the milk instead of shaking.