Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please answer? Anyone succsessful besides Tiffany jewel?

Default Please answer? Anyone succsessful besides Tiffany jewel?

I think I've only read one sucsess story for relacating besides Tiffany's is that the sucsess rate 2 out of all the people who post here? I would love to try but I need to know if it is even possible. Please please answer even if you were unsuccessful.
    Thanks

Default Re: Please answer? Anyone succsessful besides Tiffany jewel?

I personally haven't had experience with relactating, but I do know two people who had differing amounts of success. The first one was my Mom, who had to wean my little sister at 3 months due to medical issues. She did not have a pump, had no luck with hand expression, and her milk dried up completely. At 6 months, she was told that she could nurse again, and she put my sis back on the breast. By nursing first and then topping off with formula, she was soon able to relactate, ditch the formula, and nurse my sis until 18 months.

The second person I know who had some success is a friend who adopted a baby about 20 years ago. She was determined to nurse even though she had never given birth or been pregnant. She used a supplemental nursing system (SNS), and after several weeks of constant nursing, was able to produce some milk. She eventually switched to formula because her clever baby discovered how to suck on the SNS tube and spit out the breast. Today adoptive nursing is more common, and there are hormonal treatments that increase the success rate. However, I think it's remarkable that my friend, who didn't have any hormonal help, was able to make any milk in the first place!

I hope you will give relactating a try!

Anyone else? I'm desperate, obviously! For those you that are trying to relactate how do you cope with pumping that often, does your hubby do everything else? I can't believe I quit bf
    I have quit for about 1.5 months my daughter is almost 7 mo

When I was here relactating i found it very hard to find others who did it or were even trying at first. then there were others trying and I had read so many success stories on other websites after doing some more searches. I did talk to a women on the phone who relactated for her Daughter, and found a few women on a fertility website i am on and in a myspace group there were some. I did also found another group for relactating moms doing a search (Not sure if i'm aloud to post links to those places here! but if i can i would be happy to share some links!)
    I did find it was hit and miss. a lot of moms do give up, some it just doesn't always work, and it's really finding the time to do it. I litterly lived in the house for 2 months trying and barely got out DH knew I couldn't get as much done around the house and he didn't like the thought of relactating but once i did it and it worked he said how proud he was. but I was lucky I was able to do that.
    I will find out if I can post links to other success stories that helped me in my search, but just wanted to let you know i have met quite a few and helped quite a few women relactating. it's not impossible by any means and really there is no way to tell if you will be successful or not until you either try and do it, or try and don't. goodluck
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

I know somebody that had a new born and cracked and bleeding nipples, she got bad advice at the hospital and quit. The told her the baby would choke on the scabs and die
    She didn't nurse for over 8 weeks and then desided the baby should be nursed after baby had a hard time with formula.
    She said it took over 16 weeks to get to the point that baby didn't need any formula. And then with her second baby she did just fine.

I was successful. I had to quit 4 times and lost my milk supply completely. Got it back completely in 2 months.

I haven't personally, but I do of more than a few women who have. You can do it!

YES!

Earlier this year I was on the forums. I didn't start relactating until DD was 6 months old, I never BF her prior to that. I was able to get my first drop in only 4 days.

DH helped out by doing cooking etc, but although I pumped alot it really didn't interfere. DD just played around me and the machine. She sometimes pulled the tube out!

You can do it! There is a ton of information out there, but you really need to be determined!
    I got up to 8 oz per day by EP after two months

A friend of mine just started producing milk for an adopted baby (who is due in 2 weeks). I'm not exactly sure how it works but they gave her meds and she has been pumping to build a supply. They said it take some time so they had her start 1 month before the due date. After 2 weeks she is starting to get a little (and is freezing it for her LO to come). I can imagine pumping for 2 weeks before anything came out b/c it is not fun but she really wants to nurse. I am sooo proud of her for it too!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk