Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an upper limit?

Default Re: Is there an upper limit?

I would like to continue nursing DD until she is at least 2, but I will go as long as she wants. DH and I joke new that at the rate she's going, we'll be nursing until she's 15. Just picture me going to high school to nurse during her lunch period.
    Robin

Our culture has so little positive attitudes about breastfeeding that it's hard even for us moms who know how great it is to imagine continuing to nurse into the preschool years. I know that on the surface a 2, or 3, or 4 year old sounds so old, but when it's your "baby" who is 2, 3, or 4 suddenlty it doesn't seem as old. My lo just turned 2 and he still has so much baby in him - even though he speaks in complete sentences and tonight politiely told me "no, thanks" when I offered him his vegetable soup. That said I can't imagine nursing him past 3 but I know better than to say that, because if he needs it (and if keeps a smooth running family) I'm not to likely to take it away from him.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by all night DQ View Post
    Our culture has so little positive attitudes about breastfeeding that it's hard even for us moms who know how great it is to imagine continuing to nurse into the preschool years. I know that on the surface a 2, or 3, or 4 year old sounds so old, but when it's your "baby" who is 2, 3, or 4 suddenlty it doesn't seem as old. My lo just turned 2 and he still has so much baby in him - even though he speaks in complete sentences and tonight politiely told me "no, thanks" when I offered him his vegetable soup. That said I can't imagine nursing him past 3 but I know better than to say that, because if he needs it (and if keeps a smooth running family) I'm not to likely to take it away from him.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I didn't have a limit in mind when I started nursing, but I did have a goal. I had a goal of breastfeeding my daughter until she was 2. I figured that we would go from there and decide if she wanted to continue or not. Well, as it turned out, she decided to stop 2 months after her second birthday. I didn't try to stop her or wean her, she just did it herself. I know I would've tried to continue if she hadn't been ready to stop. Fortunately my DF was very supportive of our breastfeeding relationship & wanted me to do what was best for both me & DD . Now with the upcoming lo, I'm planning on doing the same thing - have a goal of breastfeeding until at least 2, but continuing as long as mutually desirable.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

My oldest son self-weaned at age 2, though I had done mommy led night weaning almost a year prior to that with him. I remember looking at his face when he plopped into my arms and we were chatting when he was 3 years old and thinking that I couldn't imagine still nursing him. He was such a big boy...so independant.

When I had DS#2, I thought that we'd have a similar nursing relationship, but its not the same. DS#2 actually needs to nurse more often I think now at 18 mos. than DS#1 did. And you know what the key factor is (I think)? DS#2 doesn't like a pacifier. He hasn't wanted one in probably 6 mos. and before that, it was only occasionally.

DS#1 liked a pacifier. It was a very valuable tool for us when he was in daycare, because he had a very strong need to suck, and I'm sure he wouldn't have made it through those months of daycare without it. I also dealt with oversupply with both boys, so in the beginning, they couldn't comfort nurse.

DS#2 though never really liked the pacifier, so by the time my oversupply calmed down enough for him to be able to comfort nurse many months later, he wholeheartedly took advantage of the situation!

Even now, I remember that while DS#1 did self wean at age 2, he continued to use the pacifier for awhile at night in order to fall asleep. So I do think that he still needed the comfort, but he was ok finding it from the pacifier.

With DS#2, I really think we might nurse past age 2...and that doesn't bother me. We'll cross the bridge of what's too old when we get there. I'm sure we'll both know though when the time comes.

ETA: I've also noticed, that with my first nursing relationship with DS#1, that I had more issues of feeling "touched out" all the time and feeling like a "milk cow" and well just feeling that I wanted my body back. Those feelings increased after about 18 mos., and I wanted to wean because I was feeling uncomfortable. Maybe DS#1 could tell that I was becoming uncomfortable. With DS#2 though, I know what to expect, and how to get time to myself and ways to cope better, and I've had almost no feelings of feeling touched out whatsoever. I cherish our nursing relationship even now, and I don't feel at all how I did when I was a new nursing mom. I think its just experience...I'm used to it, and I know what it feels like, and I know that I need a little time alone on a regular basis to keep sane. With DS#1 I didn't realize all that.
    Last edited by Mommie of 2; September 27th, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: ETA last paragraph

I would like to be at 2-3 nursing sessions per day by the time DS is 2 (pushed that back 6 months recently), but beyond that I don't really have a set age for weaning. I do want to go back to work in about a year and I wonder if that will hasten or delay weaning (or have no effect). I guess it depends on how DS's personality continues to develop.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?