Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems latching on and sleepy baby

Default Problems latching on and sleepy baby

Hi,

My baby is two days old and I'm trying to breastfeed but having a couple problems:

1. She's not opening her mouth wide enough to really latch on. I've tried opening her mouth a little wider with my fingers but she closes it back shut.

2. She's very sleepy so far and I have to wake her up constantly during each feeding.

I would really appreciate ANY suggestions! Thank you!

-Miranda

Default Re: Problems latching on and sleepy baby

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Its really pretty common for new babies to be sleepy, have you tried a sponge bath, diaper changes, or undressing? Are you emptying one breast before you switch sides?

With tiny babies you can try a gentle finger below the chin pressing the mouth closed. Some people think that it is more successful in getting a newborn to open up versus trying to pull the mouth open directly. Here is a link to some free movies showing proper latching techniques. Here is another that is worth saving to your computer, it has plenty of useful information on breastfeeding !
    Hope some of this helps out. And once again welcome!

Hi! Congrats and good for you for bf. I'm no expert but I've come here for advice a few times and I've found it to be helpful to ask other bf mamas their experiences. My dd always fell asleep eating (sometimes still does). Sometimes if I tickled her back lightly it would help, or I would read her stories so she heard my voice (that helped more when she was a few weeks old). Maybe try a washcloth on her face too.
    When I started bf the nurses in the hospital showed me how to bring baby to breast and if she didn't open her mouth enough, I held her a little away from my breast so she would open wider in search of it. That seemed to help us. Good luck, enjoy this special time- it goes so fast.

the cradle hold helped me a lot in the beginning stages, because it seems baby was able to get a better latch in that position and she also didn't find it very comfy to fall asleep in. i also burp her and change the diapers before feeding (this really gets her WIDE awake).

1. She's not opening her mouth wide enough to really latch on. I've tried opening her mouth a little wider with my fingers but she closes it back shut.

Here's a video that outlines latching technique:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

Be sure to tickle her lips with your nipple to begin the rooting response. Wait for her to open WIDE (like a yawn) before attempting to latch on. It also can be helpful to create a "nipple sandwich" by smooshing down the areola. This helps her take a bigger "bite" of the areola.

2. She's very sleepy so far and I have to wake her up constantly during each feeding.

Try breast compressions! Everytime she starts to drift off, you will compress the breast to send down more milk to her. This helps to keep her awake and actively nursing. Here's some more info via video:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    And here's a page that describes the technique and why it works:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Keep us updated!