Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to pump for newborn?

Default How much to pump for newborn?

Help! I need some advice here. My sis-in-law has a 3 week old baby (born 5 weeks early) and would like to pump for about 1 feeding each night so dad can let mom get a few hours of sleep. She is nursing wonderfully but baby is nursing often right now (probably growth spurt).

Any idea of approximately how much milk they will need for one feeding at this age?

Thanks a bunch! I'm soooo glad that this forum has arrived, what a blessing for new moms and even those of us with experience

Default Re: How much to pump for newborn?

The very few times Elias has received ebm he never took more than 2 oz. We tried 3oz once and it all came flying out. I would test the waters with a couple of oz at a time..their bellies are so small right now..and yeppers the baby might be going through a growth spurt now..fun fun fun! LOL

Honestly, as much as she can. Some newborns only take a couple of ounces... mine once took six! Just tell her to pump as much as she can, and freeze what they don't need. The supply is always good to have, and she can be assured she'll have enough. You don't limit what a newborn eats; you let them eat until they're full.

One thing to consider, a baby that age can develop nipple confusion if introduced to the bottle to early (mine did). It is a nightmare to get them bf again. I would wait at least 8 weeks before introducing the bottle.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I told her to prepare a 4 oz bottle to see how it goes.

I waited the alloted 6 weeks as was recommended with my daughter and then she didn't take a bottle EVER. After 1 babysitter quit after i was back to work for 2 days, i had to make some schedule changes. My sis-in-law can't do what i did as she works an hour away from home so i think it's a good idea to start 1 bottle every day or every other. Also, my other sis-in-law did this and it worked out fine, no nipple confusion.

It is a risky thing though, i understand that. But, breastfeeding is going remarkably well for her right now so i think they are willing to take that risk if it means a bit of sleep for mom.

Hi There

Introducing a bottle during a growth spurt may not be such a good idea. I know baby is nursing frequently and the mom is getting very tired, but she needs to have that baby nursing at the breast so that her milk supply continues to increase with the baby's needs. This is especially important if she is going back to work and wants to pump successfully for her baby.

Has your SIL considered taking the baby to bed with her? Many moms find that with co-sleeping, they can learn to sleep through the nursing sessions. Mom is well rested and baby is secure next to mommy and still fed on demand. And again, this works extremely well for many working mothers. Here is a link on safe co-sleeping:

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html

(Not a LLL site, but it was linked on an LLL site!).

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

In agreement that waiting until baby is at least 6 weeks would be more ideal. Mom is still establishing her milk supply.

But the standard is to start with 2 oz and use a slow flow nipple and hold baby very close to the body. If baby seems hungry still, add 1 oz at a time.

Growth spurts can be really draining, can't they?

Anyone experiencing this should be aware that substituting/supplementing during a growth spurt can be counterproductive. This can interfere with the natural supply and demand (your baby nursing more frequently, your body producing more milk due to increased demand for milk) of milk production and prevent your breasts from getting the message to make more milk.

One way many mothers handle these "frequency days" is to set themselves up in a comfy area with everything they need and just nurse. Some mothers try to take a nap when baby naps (or at minimum, *rest*), while some mothers find that carrying their baby in a carrier (baby wearing) is helpful so mom can get things done while baby nurses/naps.

You can find more information on growth spurts here:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

About how much ebm a newborn needs, some mothers find it's a good idea to store the milk in small increments (1-2 oz). Sometimes baby will take more, sometimes he will take less. This way, there is no waste if baby only takes an ounce, vs if the bottle is full. If baby wants more, simply warm another ounce or so.

HTH!

Again, thanks to everyone for the great information! I agree that baby needs to nurse constantly at this age and mom just needs to rest/nap often. Believe me, she is nursing on demand, just very tired - recovering from c-section infection/open wound and birth in general. I just forget what it's like to have a little one like that, nursing all the time.