Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeps thru nite - should i pump?

Post sleeps thru nite - should i pump?

my son just turned 4 mo and suddenly started sleeping through the night (9-11 hours). I thought the transition would be more gradual, but he has done it 3 nights straight! naturally, my breasts are HUGE when he wakes up and have been leaking...

should I get up in the night to pump?

I am worried that going so long without feeding will lead to lower milk production in general, or that it will lead to lower quality milk (less fat).

or, will my body learn to accomodate this new change with a little more time and just produce less milk during the night?

please advise!
    froggi

Default Re: sleeps thru nite - should i pump?

My now 8 MO started sleeping long stretches around that age (unfortunately, for us it was short lived and now she's back in bed with me and eating every 3-4 hours again). However, when she did sleep for long stretches, I was still making a ton of milk. I knew I'd be going back to work, so I took advantage of the situation and pumped then to build up a supply in the freezer. If you're not too keen on pumping or don't need to fill up the freezer, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really uncomfortable.

Hi Froggi

At 4 months, your milk supply and breastfeeding relationship should be well established. You may want to pump off enough to relieve your discomfort in the night, but if your baby continues to sleep through the night, your body will gradually adjust to making more milk during the day and less at night. You don't need to pump to maintain your supply, and the quality of your milk won't be affected.

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

When DD started doing this, I used it as an opportunity to build up a stash in the freezer. I am a SAHM and I wanted a stash so when I would wake up with two bowling balls I would pump and freeze it. I gradually pumped less and less. I got through it and had a great stash built up!

If you pump or manually express enough to take the edge off, your body will adapt and it won't hurt your supply!

if you are awake anyways, I would get the baby and try and nurse..
    change his wet diapar and I bet he will be awake and ready
    I would wake up and lay and wait for them to get up that was silly..
    your lucky!
    I have never had a kid that slept all night long.. my 9 year old didn't start sleeping all night untill he was about 4-5 and then he started to wet the bed.
    my 4 year old gets up maybe 3 times a week and comes and lays beside our bed.. and my 21/2 year old I think slept threw about 3 times in her whole life..
    anyways if you are awake like I said I would try to get a baby that young to nurse that will help you go back to sleep and he will get an extra feed.
    good luck
    andrea

same thing here - DD "was" sleeping from about 10 p to 6-7 am (although in the last few days has been getting up earlier). I would wake up around 3A & pump the right side (I feed her on the left) and just some of the left so when she woke up I wasn't totally empty or engorged. ALthough occasionally I have pumped both completely = once DD starts sucking she will get milk, she just has to work a bit harder. I built up my stash this way & usually get alot at this time so I didn't want to not pump and lose the opportunity to build a supply. Plus, I wake up in a sweat with water balloons attached so its not like I could sleep through it if I wanted to!!

I try to pump for 15 mins so I get fore & hindmilk.