Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: firing on both tits

Default firing on both tits

Since pumping, mostly twice a day at work over the past three weeks, i have seen an increase in how much milk comes.
    on the left i can get 6 ounces. and the right breast, which before pumping was slow, now squirts out four ounces wiht ease.
    amazing.

Default Re: firing on both tits

What do you do? I've been pumping for the last week 2x a day for when I go back to work and so far I can only get two oz in the mornings and 1.5 in the evenings. Of course I'm pumping after the baby eats so that I don't get engorged but I haven't seen an increase if anything I've seen a decline...

Oh, and congrats your doing great! ...can't wait to get there

i've been pumping for over a month now and can't get that much! do give some tips! i got an increase with the video posted by babygurl this week, but still about 3 ounces a side. i could use an increase even more b/c i can't seem to keep up with the lo!

Try this, it seems to work for me:

Pump a few minutes.
    Break suction.
    Hand express. Pay attention to your nipples, and look to see if you see any white spots that get whiter / show up at the end of one "cycle" of expression.
    If there are, work them open. It can take a minute for me, but it is SO worth it. (This seems to also have prevented me from getting clogs as much / as badly)
    Pump a few minutes.
    Repeat.

In 10 minutes I can usually get at least 4-6. By the time 15-20 minutes is up (little longer in the mornings though) I can get close to 8-10 depending on how long it's been since my last pumping.

I can get up to 16 oz in a session (granted, this is at 7am, when the last time I'd pumped was at midnight).

But if I go every four hours, I can get 8-10.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Keep it up mama, you're doing awesome! I wish I'd read up on the hand expression thing before I went back to work 7 months ago, I've scraped by but I think that would have really helped my supply stay up. Really glad it's working so well for you!

To be honest, I don't know how i'm able to do this. I wrote the post because I was very surprised. The only thing I might be able to attribute it to is trying to maintain, as much as possible, a regular pumping schedule. There was a post on this some time ago. I pump at around 11 am and 3:30pm every day at work. I use the Avent Isis manual pump.
    Up to last week i was getting four ounces from the left and two ounces from the right breast Now I can get 5 - 6 ounces from the left and 3 - 4 ounces from the right during one pumping.
    drinking a lot has helped.
    Mind you, I suppose this production has kept me ravenously hungry throughout the day...