Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples

Question Sore nipples

I'm feeling a lot of pain in my right nipple when my two week old eats on that side. I take her off and try again many times, but her grip doesn't seem to be any different from the left side. I'm not sure if it's just that breast or what. Her lips look good and I've tried different positions. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Sore nipples

do you think your cracked?
    Bleeding?
    heres a good link about healing cracks, sometimes it takes a while for cracks to heal.
    Do you have any burning pain?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

There is no bleeding or cracking and they look pretty much normal, no redness or anything.

My nipples were pretty sore at the beginning too. It hurt so much I could hardly stand to wear clothes! And there seemed nothing wrong with the nipples either. I think they just weren't used to being worked so hard! It took me about 6 weeks to toughen them up. Meanwhile, I applied lots of Lansinoh (medical grade lanolin) on them. It worked wonders to prevent cracking. No need to clean off if baby wants to feed, it's harmless when swallowed. Lansinoh does stain clothes though.

My gynae also recommended that I went topless as much as possible, and to sun my nipples. Those helped too.

HTH.
    Last edited by dorothy; September 21st, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1