Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Pumping - extra milk question

Default Breastfeeding and Pumping - extra milk question

DS is now a lil over 3 months. Every since 6 weeks I've been able to pump and store about 5 extra ounces a day (give or take, depends on his hunger, I pump after his first feed).

Rarely do I have to use my freezer stash, so my question is, what do I do with this extra milk? Some of it will begin expring in December.

Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled I haven't needed it yet, but I hate to waste...

TIA
    as long as we can, as often as we can

Mama to DS born June 2007

Smile Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping - extra milk question

Why are you pumping? If I may ask.... If you don't think there's going to be a need for it I would just stop pumping. Your body will adjust. By pumping your just telling your body that you need that milk so it will continue to make extra. But if you don't need it or don't think you ever will I would just stop. (If it were me) And then if you have a time where you know that you will have to be away from your baby then pump, or used your stored milk. As for what you have now....Do you have access to a deep freeze? To my knowledge you can keep it in there for up to 6mo.

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping - extra milk question

Thanks for the link, what a great idea and resource!

I also have a pretty big freezer stash. I still pump every day or two to make another bag. The ladies suggested updating the stash by giving LO a bottle each day and pumping that feed to replace in the stash. Have I confused you yet?

Either way, I intend to use my stash for LO after he weans or if he starts using a sippy. He can still get the benefits of BM without necessarily nursing. My oldest refused to nurse after 13 mos., and now I realize it was likely just a strike that we could have worked through but at the time it was very hard for me and I just gave up. My stash is like a frozen treasure chest in the basement. I'll even admit to going and looking in the deep freeze from time to time, just to see it (like gold).

You can donate it to a milk bank:
    http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=locations
    If there is no milk bank near you, you can donate to a for-profit milk bank by sending the milk via Fedex. For-profit milk banking is kind of gross but I think it is better than milk being wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by jlko View Post
    I also have a pretty big freezer stash. I still pump every day or two to make another bag. The ladies suggested updating the stash by giving LO a bottle each day and pumping that feed to replace in the stash. Have I confused you yet?

Either way, I intend to use my stash for LO after he weans or if he starts using a sippy. He can still get the benefits of BM without necessarily nursing. My oldest refused to nurse after 13 mos., and now I realize it was likely just a strike that we could have worked through but at the time it was very hard for me and I just gave up. My stash is like a frozen treasure chest in the basement. I'll even admit to going and looking in the deep freeze from time to time, just to see it (like gold).
    This is a great idea, initially I felt a little guilty giving him frozen milk when I'm here, but DH and I discussed (based on your great suggestion) and on the weekends, DH is going to let me sleep in, give DS a freezer milk while I sleep, then I'll pump when I get up. Thanks so much for posting!

I still may have some extra and will definitely look into the milk banks.

Thanks all for your help and support