Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hair Loss!!!

Default Hair Loss!!!

My hair is falling out, Is this due to breastfeeding? Please help. i am freaking out. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Hair Loss!!!

During pregnancy, you do not shed nearly as many hairs as you normally would (That's why your hair gets so thick and beautiful with a bun in the oven! )! So after the baby is born, particularly in the first couple months, your head catches up on shedding by molting copious amounts of hair. Don't worry, your hair is most likely not falling out. Your scalp is just letting go of all the hairs that should have fallen out for 9 months!

I totally agree with previous post. It has nothing to do with breastfeeding.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

First, calm down. It happens to all of us. I remember I actually had bald spots and was not a happy girl. There were tears and all.

It is not due to breastfeeding, it is due to giving birth. Our hair goes through two stages, growing and shedding. It is normal and during our life each hair will grow and then shed to make room for new growth. During pregnancy due to the increase in hormones, our hair is in ultra growing mode. This is the reason some women notice their hair looks fuller, shinier, and more healthy during pregnancy. Then post-partum when our hormones start to return to normal, all that hair that was growing for 9 months is now shedding. Completely normal to notice handfuls of it when washing, brushing, sleeping, and just normal day to day life. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it. Some wash their hair less to try and slow it down. Some wear it up all the time and try not to mess with it much.

It is annoying and obviously a bit shocking when it first starts. But it will eventually calm down and return to a more normal growing and shedding phase.

Rest assured, this happens to us all and is not an indication of a vitamin deficiency or due to breastfeeding. Keep nursing and try not to worry about it! We have all been there.

I've lost like 40% of my hair, I swear. I used to have to use a large hair clip - now a smaller one is almost too big! I think I'm going to cut it because it just looks long and straggly now that I have no volume.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Yep mine too. Scared me at first. Sometimes I feel like I could take a rake and rake all the hair from the carpet. I had such a nice full long look while prego now forget it. I need a cut cause I look shaggy.

Mine was falling out so much I was pulling handfills out with every shower. Clogged the drains.. but I didn't go bald don't worry its natural, it will stop. I think mine lasted a few months. Get a hair catcher for you shower drain and you should be fine.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

OMG, I clogged the drain 3 times when I was losing mine after Sebi was born. I would say it lasted from about 2 to 7 or 8 months pp. You are not alone!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Yeah, me too. I was freaking out. I even knew it was 'normal' but still. It stops....I think, I'm only 3mo pp. Its not falling out as bad, but I still get hair everywhere.
    Mom to Jackson born 06/29/2007 He 's his milky!