Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I still give cow's milk at a year?

Default Do I still give cow's milk at a year?

Okay, so I have some time. DD is almost 8 months. But I was just wondering if extended nursing means extended pumping, too! I want to nurse DD well past a year, but I'm not sure if that means I have to keep pumping for her to have a bottle when I'm away. I realize my supply won't be the same but wouldn't I have enough for the times I'm with her (especially morning and bedtime)? What do other mom's of breastfed 1 year old's put in bottles.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: Do I still give cow's milk at a year?

For most women, supply issues are over by the year point. You should by then, be able to nurse when together and not worry about it or pump when away. I was a SAHM for the 1st 14months of my sons life and then went back to work full time. I have never once pumped while at work and never had any issues feeding him when back together. The longest I have ever been away from my child is 14hours but I have heard of mothers at the year or beyond point going away overnight or even for a weekend and being able to just pick right back up with no supply issues at all. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Really? That would be great! I'd love to not have to pump anymore and not have to watch the clock. Thanks!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

Yes usually the mothers (especially mothers that had supply issue in the beginning) have a hard time BELIEVING they can give up the pump but it's true. I wouldn't recommend it now as you should be pumping to give her her food for the next day. But when you are feeing plenty of solids are are no longer her main source of nutrition, you will find you can pull back and only do it when together with no issue.

Way too lazy for formula

This is my plan too..... my little girl is turning one next week , and I will put the pump away. I typically pump 3 times during my work day... I will slowly go to 2, then to once, then stop. I hope to continue BF her in the morning and in the evening ! I heard it should work !

I sure hope so! That would be great! Are you going to give cow's milk for bottles when your away at work?
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

I had this problem recently my DS just turned a year and I just went back to work. I nurse morning, after I get home, and night. I nurse on demand on the weekends. I don't have any supply issues. I do still pump during my break but just once a day. But I know many moms who don't and they are fine. My MIL gives DS very watered down juice in a sippy and my EBM in a bottle during the day with is food. Trying to get rid of the bottle but he misses me and wants to suck before naptime. Sometimes if I forget to pump or leave it at home I will put cows milk in the bottle. But if your LO is eating enough solids and nursing 2-3 times a day when you're home he should be fine getting cow's milk or water when you're gone.

WOW - this is GREAT news to me. I was hoping I could "dump the pump" around 1 year, hoping we make it that long

AMy

Here is what we do:

Grace nurses whenever she wants and has cow's milk only at meal times. I do not pump anymore. We have not given DD a bottle since she turned one. She just drinks from sippy cups.

Hope that helps!
    Robin

I started my lo on cow's milk at 1 year, even though I am home most of the time. Techinically if you nurse 3-4 times a day, that is enough, but I figure the extra calories are good for my lo because she is so small and needs to gain weight anyway. I still nurse between 4-8 times a day and give cow milk in a sippy during meals or just when she is thirsty (she has never taken a bottle well since 8 weeks old). She drinks a lot of water too. I agree, even on the days I do work and am gone upwards of 9-10 hours, my supply is fine. I just make my husband offer her cows milk when I am gone.