Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bf is beginning to ANNOY me!

Arrow bf is beginning to ANNOY me!

Hello all! I am having the most awful time with my daughter, Kaylee. She is 7 months old, and over 22 pounds. Right now I bf and she is getting a little bit of solids. For some reason she has always had a hard time falling asleep for both naps and at bedtime, and it only seems to be getting worse. The only way I can get her to fall asleep is by bfing her, but the trouble is that she sucks for soooo long. Even if she does fall asleep, 8 times out of 10 she wakes up when I gently take my nipple out of her mouth. So, I am extremely aggravated that I am always having to lay with her for almost her entire nap twice a day. Also I am worried that her excessive sucking during her naps and the night hours (she wakes up all through the night to suck) is causing her to be so big. She will not take a pacifier or a bottle at all. I have tried putting her in her crib, thinking maybe, out of sight out of mind - but that doesn't work.
    Also, another issue is that I want to ween her when she is 12 months (actually I would love to ween her from bf to ebf now, but I know it won't happen that fast, so I am setting a goal of 12 mo) I am just so worried, it won't go well. I don't want to traumatize her. I am honestly getting so sick of feeding her, especially when I know she's not hungry. It really wouldn't bother me if she wasn't' so big. I truly am confused. Everybody has such different opinions on the matter. Some would say to throw her in the crib and just let her cry and after a couple days she'll realize she isn't going to be fed during the nights and she'll start just going to sleep. Other's say that that is the most traumatic thing you can do. UGH!!!! I am so frustrated...any ideas, anyone??

Default Re: bf is beginning to ANNOY me!

well I can't offer any advice, am far from weaning and this is my first baby, but I just wanted you to know that you do have support *hugs* I personally couldn't just let DS CIO when the time comes, I don't do that now, I am not looking forward to the day we decide to wean LOL but I just wanted to offer you the best of luck, I am sure these wonderful ladies here will have plenty of great advice to offer on the matter, hang in there hun!

someplace on line there is a night weaning page I can't think now where it is.
    That is the hardest part of nursing. When they nurse all night.
    I don't realy have any good advice, other than maybe she is ready to go down to one nap during the day? WEaning her might not help her to sleep beter, and then you would be with out a way to put her to sleep that works.
    nothing worse than a fussy baby that needs to sleep and no way to sooth them.
    LLL library has a book called how weaning happens you could check that out
    heres a link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/wean.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022900.asp
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/sleep.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html

Hi Alissa,

My daughter STILL has nights of endless sucking. I don't know if it is related to teething or what. What I found that helps is while she is nursing and after she has fallen asleep I kind of lean in toward her to make it not so comfortable and roomy for her to just sit on my breast and suck casually. She kind of stirs and pulls off by herself when I do this. Maybe that will help!! Good luck.

Jennifer (Emily's Mom)

I really understand your confusion, because we all want what is the best for our children. But, if you are really beggining to resent bf and your daughter because of it, maybe it is the time to quit.

Jennifer: That is funny, I'll have to try that!
    Rina Z: Well I understand what you mean, it's not worth having bad feelings toward our babies, but I don't feel that way about her! It just gets frustrating if your not 100 % sure your doing the right thing, know what i mean?

I have not real advice to share or provide. But, I wanted to let you know you are not alone. My 14 month old is the same way, and I have not idea what to do. She is completely dependent on bf to fall asleep and she wakes up every couple of hours needing to bf to fall back to sleep. I agree, it does get frustrating. I wouldn't mind feeding her a couple times during the day. But, I want to night wean. But, she is so dependent, there is no easy way to do it.

Hang in there. Someday, it will get better.

My daughter is 7 1/2 months & is about 21 lbs. She nurses the same way. I do not beleive how big she is is related to how much she nurses. Our DS did not co-sleep w/ us, nor did he suck/nurse as often & he was much bigger than her. Even though it is very hard at times to let her nurse/suck continuously or off & on throughout the night & at naps, I feel it is what is best for her. It was harder for me when she was first born & now that I've accepted her nursing needs, it is much easier to deal with. There is a wonderful book called "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley" this book explains this type of nursing, (ecological BF), & how this is the natural way a baby nurses as opposed to cultural BF. It really is a wonderfully informative book. I read it when I was pregnant w/ our DD. I only wished I had read it w/ our DS. I know how hard it can be to just let her nurse for comfort, but it won't last forever. Besides, at least you get to rest when she does.That won't last forever either!

My ds did the same thing. I tried everything to get him to stay asleep. And he does take a binky. I finally tried extra calcium pills or tums and more activities during the day and weaned off of the morning nap to get him to fall asleep on his own and it worked. He still nurses to sleep but he does stay asleep longer. And doesn't need me through the whole nap. What emmysmom said is great. What I do is pull away gradually were he has to reach for it than he gives up and pulls off. I wait until he's all the way asleep first though or he wakes up right after and it's harder for him to go back to sleep. What I wouldn't try doing is cio though cause that makes it the worst of all. It does get better and I would try reading some of the extended nursing forums to get some encouragement. Good luck. And keep on going.

I can relate. My ds is now 11 months old. But when he was your baby's age he would not fall asleep w/o nursing. When I started feeding him more solids He started sleeping more through the nignt. Now He still wants to fall asleep with nursing but it is getting better. He wakes up sometimes when I put him in the crib but falls asleep. I did read a good book called The no cry sleep solution. She gave great ideas on what to do. But I was stressing about it for the last few months that I could not go anywhere because he wanted to nurse. It is getting better. I do want to stop nursing at 12 months. So I am starting to wean him. He is now taking sippy cups and drinks out of a bottle. I just kept giving it to him daily to see what he did. and one day he drank from it. But good luck.