Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: evening/night feedings

Default evening/night feedings

I am trying to EBF my 5-week old, but lately it has proven to be near impossible. I have to supplement occassionaly as he just isn't satisfied after certain feedings.

Does anyone else have problems satisfying their LO in the evenings/nighttime? It seems like I barely have any milk at those times in comparison to during the day. I am taking fenugreek for milk supply and it is working. I know my LO is gearing up for his 6-week growth spurt, as the past day and a half he has seemed more hungry than usual.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: evening/night feedings

I don't have any help to offer re: supplementing, but my LO nursed seemingly non-stop in the evenings every time he hit a growth spurt. Thankfully, my husband was usually home by then and I'd just camp out and nurse. This always got better after the growth spurts, though. But I've had friends whose LO's nursed this way all the time! Some babies cluster-feed then, and others just want the comfort of nursing.

Is there any reason in particular that you don't feel like you have as much milk or is it just because he wants to nurse so often?

The nice thing about growth-spurts is that they don't last forever. But, those days when you feel like you're nursing non-stop do seem like very long days!

Hope it gets better soon!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Hi my 5-week old DD is the same. By about 6-7pm, she reaches her 'fussy time' of the day and will want to nurse almost every hour. This means that both breasts get pretty soft and feel like there's no milk by about 10-11pm. I think there's no milk either cos she cries and fusses and still roots, looking for more food. At first I resisted supplementing, but then I gave her 2oz of formula and she stopped crying and went to sleep.

I know we're supposed to produce as much as the baby wants, but I also feel like maybe my breasts get empty in the evening.

they say that the boobs never empty but mine sure feel like it, all limp and flaccid by night time. in the morning they're all full and runneth over and baby gets milk everywhere but by evening, after nursing non-stop for what seems like forever, my nipples and me are both begging for a break. that's when i give her formula too, and it helps her go to sleep for a few hours.

Babies in the evening are HARD! It takes a lot of work to get our little ones calm around that time of day. I've been there, and for the most part I'm still there with my 10-month-old girls.

Just a quick reminder of the signs of baby getting enough milk:
    - Nursing 8 to 12 times per 24 hours
    - 6 to 8 wet and 3 to 4 messy diapers per 24 hours
    - Adequate weight gain

A fussy baby is not necessarily a sign of a hungry baby. A baby who wants to nurse right after finishing is not necessarily a hungry baby.

I made the mistake with my first baby of using formula to cure fussiness. Not only did it not work, but it hindered my milk supply. With my twins, when they were fussy, I would put them to the breast and they would nurse. And guess what? I had all the milk they needed!

My conclusion: A fussy baby is nature's way of getting Mom to put Baby to breast, thus creating enough milk for Baby. I love it.

Can you load up feedings earlier in the day when your milk seems more plentiful? Can you nurse your baby to sleep and then just keep nursing for as long as baby will stay latched? (You might notice let-down every 20 minutes or so.)

Good luck! Keep us updated!

This link addresses what you are talking about and supplementing isn't the answer. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html This too shall pass...

Thanks I-man's momma for the link. I have actually read that article before. I supplement due to Dr.'s orders, but am weaning him off of it...or trying to. He gets a max of 3oz a day of formula...if that.