Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for those of who you who skipped baby cereal

Default for those of who you who skipped baby cereal

I've recently cut back on the cereal I give my baby-- some days I don't give him any-- and I've noticed practically every time he has cereal he has a blowout (not right away, like, 24 hours after having the cereal). When I don't give him any cereal and just focus on the fruits and veggies, his poop comes out nice and moist, but solid-- no blowouts or stickyness. Conclusion: baby cereal causes massive, sticky blowouts in my baby. And I really don't want to deal with it.

Is it necessary for me to keep feeding him baby cereal if this is happening? I know it's important for him to get accustomed to grains, but can I wait until he's old enough to try Cheerios and crackers and breads? He's almost 8 months old. Is a couple tablesppons of single grain cereal a day enough to prepare him for more complex grains later on?
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: for those of who you who skipped baby cereal

I don't give my dd cereal everyday (oatmeal). Oatmeal and others alike can be high in fiber and when you add a veggie diet your little one may be getting more fiber than think resulting in "blowouts" You may just want to check the fiber content in foods given throught out the rest of day and try to see if you can balance things a little. Example: If my mom (watches the baby during the day) gives my dd broccoli etc. for lunch than I won't duplicat I will go for something like carrots in the evening. Hope this helps

i didn't really do the baby cereal. instead at about 8 mo i just started him on real oatmeal, which he loves. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

my daughter hated baby cereal and refused to eat it. so i just didn't give it to her. and she is just fine. she had similar problems with baby food but i did find some things she likes. i don't blame her too much though. i certainly wouldn't eat the stuff and i felt bad for pushing it on her when that nasty stuff never would have made it in my mouth.

Really the only reason for giving babies baby cereal is for the iron. Your baby can get that from other sources, like meats, dairy, some vegetables. A lot of adult grains are also fortified with iron, just not in the amounts of baby cereal.

Many of us skipped cereal completely. It is very highly processed and has no real nutritional value except the iron they fortify it with and there are better ways to get much more absorbable kinds of iron into your baby. Like by feeding him foods that are high in iron to begin with. Rice cereal is not on the LLL list of 1st foods and since I knew going into this that I was going to be feeding him whole foods and try to keep processed goods away from him...it seemed counter productive to start his food experience with anything other than whole real foods. There is nothing you need to worry about if you choose to skip it from here on in.

Way too lazy for formula

We didn't give baby foods at all, much less the cereals. We just started out with whole foods
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We skipped cereal, and did very, very few purees. We made all our own food too. We don't have any history of allergies, and by 8 months or son was a pro with Cheerios, he just loved them. We also introduced Wheat Chex and Bran Flakes around 9 months. Also, Rye Krisp crackers are great too.

Our LO is very adventurous with foods and we introduced new things pretty quickly, mostly following a baby led approach. Some fruits and veg we did puree but not a whole lot. The book Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers (a LLL book) has a list of other foods high in Iron. I know sweet potato is one of them. Our son was always fine, our Pedi knows we skipped cereal and didn't bat an eye, nor freak out and test his iron levels or anything.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

No cereals or baby foods here either. She's been eating nibbles off of our plates from the beginning.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

I never gave cereal, either. I believe I started cheerios at around 6 months or so, so your lo would probably be fine with them. Just watch closely in the beginning for choking. It is normal to gag- that's a natural reflex- so don't get too freaked out he does that, just give him a second to see if he can get the food out on his own. It took me a little while to stop jumping up every time DD gagged! Anyway, you can also give oatmeal for grains. My lo loves oatmeal with small pieces of dried fruit or a few raisins in it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous