Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to start cereal?

Question Is it time to start cereal?

Lately Hannah has been a bit drooly, she chews on her fingers often, and some days is cranky in the daytime (which is not typical for her). I thought that this might be the beginnings of teething....but today when I was talking to my sister, she was quite insistent that these are signs that Hannah is not getting enough food from each feeding, and that I should start her on rice cereal. I had not planned on starting to give her cereal or solids until she was a bit older... I was wondering if anyone else has noticed these to be signs of "not getting enough"

For a bit of background.... Hannah is 16 weeks old, she is gaining well, though her weight gain has slowed a bit. I do not notice that she is nursing more frequently, but she has started to nurse on both sides in the past two weeks, whereas she previously only nursed from one side per nursing session. She seems to be satisfied after nursing.

Default Re: Is it time to start cereal?

I think that if she is seeming to be satisfied, then I wouldnt introduce foods until you feel she is ready. I have not heard of those being signs of not getting enough food. My lo is 15 weeks and is starting to do the same things, but I feel like it's more that he has found his hands and is now eating them, not that he's not getting enough food. I'm going to try not to give solids until 6 months, but we'll see if the chunky monkey can wait that long.

Sounds like teething to me too.

My Ds did those same things early on (He started drooling at 2 months and hasn't stopped). I still waited until 6 months to start food, but he wasn't ready. He's 7 1/2 months now and still not ready. I try to give him food and he refuses and he is well beyond the signs you mentioned. I have a lot of friends with babies and most of them said their babies went through a fussy phase between 2 and 4 months. I know mine did. As for drooling and chewing those are normal developmental things. THe AAP recomends only breastmilk for the first 6 months.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

An unsatisfied hungry baby won't chew on his/her fingers, s/he will scream. Chewing is a sign of teething (and those signs begin months before you actually see a tooth). My 14 month eats lots of solids and even after he eats everything in sight (sometimes he even vomits because of eating too much ) he continues chewing on his fingers because we are expecting the molars

My 16 w/o does the same thing. In one of the parenting books I have it says baby start drooling around this time b/c they can't master swallowing their saliva like adults do. My little guy loves his hands too, but I don't think it is a sign of hunger. If she is gaining well, I think it is normal. The book talks about starting solids around this time just to let them get used to it, not for nuturitional value b/c their digestive systems are not yet ready for it. I am planning to wait until 6 mo as well to get to that stage.

It sounds like teething to me, too. Maybe you could try one of those ice toys to let your lo chew on. I know my lo loves those.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for your replies everyone! It is encouraging to hear that I am not the only one who thinks that she is just teething .

My LO is 17 weeks and is also drooling and eating her hands. Her fingers get red at times from being in her mouth so much! All the experienced mothers I know think that the teething process is starting. She also has days of crankiness, which I think is due to teething.

Kaycee is doing the same thing! I thought last week that she may have come down with something because all the drool was making her cough and gurgle! She gets so mad at me when I'm trying to dress her as she can't keep her hands out of her mouth long enough for me to get her arm through her sleeve!
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09