Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What causes Thrush?

Default What causes Thrush?

I believe in prevention is the best medicine, so if there are steps I can take to help prevent an onset of thrush, I'd love to know what they are.

TIA!

Default Re: What causes Thrush?

Good morning! Thrush is caused by a fungal infection similar to a yeast infection. Ways to avoid getting it can vary depending on how prone you are to getting yeast infections. I have had awful problems with those, so I have incorporated eating yogurt regularly and making sure I "stay dry". The same holds true for keeping your nipples dry. I would avoid disposable paper breast pads. They hold in moisture and create an environment suitable for growing thrush. If the problem is really bad, I would suggest taking acidophilus or bifidus supplements to keep your body chemistry in order.
    Antibiotics are often prescribed for thrush infections, but depending on the type and how powerful they are, it can make the problem worse and also cause a vaginal yeast infection- which makes the whole thing harder to get rid of. I hope this helps. A leader should be along shortly to give you more information

Check out this article. The author lists lots of preventative measures to take to avoid a yeast infection.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

HTH!

thank you very much!