Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby fussy at breast

Unhappy Baby fussy at breast

My little Katie is just shy of 3 weeks old and she is suddenly fussy at the breast. She's only occasionally fussy, though, and I can't find a pattern to it. She will shake her head from side to side while trying to latch on, get very angry and turn red, then sometimes latch and feed for a few moments before doing it again. This is my second child and I breastfed the first for 20 months with out experiencing this problem. Does anyone know what this may be about?

Thank you,
    Amy

Default Re: Baby fussy at breast

I'm having the same problem with my 6 week old baby. I've noticed that she seems to get upset when she gets milk, because she just wants to suck. So, as soon as I have let-down, she gets really fussy and wants nothing to do with it. We do use a pacifier, so that's probably why. I also notice that she acts super hungry when she's actually just really sleepy. So, again, as soon as she really starts to get milk, she gets frustrated.

I was hesitant on the pacifier, but she loves it. It's usually a last resort thing, but she is starting to become dependent on it. Standing and walking with her really isn't even cutting it anymore. She just wants to suck and that's the only thing that'll make her happy.

So, I guess I don't really know the answer to your problem, but maybe your baby is similar to mine. The frequency that my baby is doing this is just like your baby. It's not all the time, and other than the occasional fussy time, she eats just fine and is gaining PLENTY of weight (she's actually quite chubby!).

My 6 week old is going through the same thing. I know he has teririble gas. I can actually hear the air go down and rumble in his tummy. Your baby probably has gas. The fussiness will go away with time. I too nursed my first for 20plus months and did not experience this. I am looking for waydsto soothe during the fussy nursing sessions.

Aimee & Mom2,

Thanks for the insight - she was really sleepy the times that she did this, and I have occasionally used a pacifier for her at nap times. Maybe this is what it is. She has already gained 2 pounds since birth, so she's not lacking for milk. Also, she has been gassy, so maybe it's a combination of both things. It's just very frustrating because I feel like I must be doing something wrong!

Thanks again,
    Amy

Hi There!

This sounds kind of like what some babies will do when the letdown gets too fast for them. Do you notice any choking/sputtering or any spraying when she lets go after let-down?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Jen,
    My 2 wk old does that all the time! (choking/sputtering at letdown) What do I do about it? Also, once she calms down and gets her breath back, it sounds like she's getting a lot of air in her belly.

Gina

Jen,

I don't think my issue is about let-down. I think Aimee had the right notion - she was really sleepy the times that she did this and she apparently just wanted to pacify and was upset when milk came out of her "pacifier". Thank you!

-Amy

Sometimes when you feel the letdown you can take baby off and let the milk kinda slow down and then re-latch when it is not so forcefully. Hearing you all talk brings many memories back of my now, 1 year old! He def did this!

Hello Amy,
    I am sorry that you are experiencing a tough time. It sounds like you are hanging with it and that is a great thing. My 4th child did the same thing you are discribing. It wasn't about the let down it was just wanting to suck. I dispise pacifiers so for a while I would use my pinky and hold him skin-to-skin to my breast while he sucked my finger to sleep. I finally had to introduce a pacifier my finger was beginning to hurt. He really liked it, as you said your daughter does. I really used it only as a last resort and as soon as he was fully asleep I would go and take it out. I personally never experienced a decrease in milk supply, but other woman may not be as fortunate. I weaned him off the pacifier around 10 months or so, he was then able to change his own sucking pattern so that he didn't have to draw milk from the nipple if he didn't want to. The funny thing is I thought he was strickly a down to busy nurser, only for nurishment and not for comfort. He is now almost 21 months old and that is not the case at all. He seems to enjoy nursing more than my other children and I had genuine fears early on that he would wean before I was ready. Just keep with it, it is all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by GinaB
    My 2 wk old does that all the time! (choking/sputtering at letdown) What do I do about it? Also, once she calms down and gets her breath back, it sounds like she's getting a lot of air in her belly.
    Hi Gina!
    Here is an article that might help you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Amy--I'm glad you have figured out your issue! Hang in there--she'll learn to comfort suck without drawing much milk as she gets a little older!

Hugs to all
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!