Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I stopped Bf for almost 3 weeks, and i want to restart, but I havent had any results

Default I stopped Bf for almost 3 weeks, and i want to restart, but I havent had any results

Thing is, everything was going great for the first two weeks, i was Bf her every two hours (she set the pace, not me..), then at two weeks, she caught a flu, I took her to the doc and he prescribed treatment and I followed it...then, three days later she started having diarrhea, I called the ped and he advised to get her on a diet, half and half of formula and water, I asked about Bf and he said that it would be better if we didnt do it then until her stomach got better, so we did so, and she got back to normal.

On the other hand, I have a 6 year old boy, and between her being sick and the attention the new brother needs, I didnt pump of anything for those two weeks...I know, big mistake, I wish i could take back the time.

Now that everything is back to "normal" I want to go back to Bfing her again, but Im all dried out, Ive been trying for 3 days now, and the only results have been a pair of really sore nipples.. she tries and can go on latched propertly and actively sucking for 15 minutes on each breast, but nothing is coming out, since i tried to see something, anything with the pump and after 15 minutes nothing had come out.

I am really dissapointed on myself for not having taken the time to pump during those two weeks, I dont know if after having stopped for that long, and with no results so far, I can make it.

Another thing, im in Mexico, and i have been reading about some meds that can help with the production, but i dont know if theyre available here.

Im in a dark alley here, should I just stop trying?

Default Re: I stopped Bf for almost 3 weeks, and i want to restart, but I havent had any results

Hi there ~ I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Unfortunately, your doctor's advice to stop nursing was unwarranted. In fact, if anything, breastmilk would've helped your baby to overcome her illness faster and easier. OK, so now you know this and let it be a lesson learned

As for increasing your supply -- it really shouldn't be that difficult. Typically, if you've stopped nursing for 3 weeks, it'll take you 3 weeks of some really hard work (nursing or pumping *very* frequently) to get your milk supply back to where it was 3 weeks ago. Keep pumping and nursing, every 2 hours throughout the day and every 3 hours throughout the night. It's going to be hard work but it's only temporary, so try to keep that in mind

There are some herbal and prescription drugs that will increase milk supply but only if coupled with frequent breast stimulation. On their own, they won't do anything and most women who need to increase their supply only need to do it by increasing breast stimulation. However, if you wanted to try, fenugreek is an over-the-counter herb that can help a woman increase her supply. The typical dosage of fenugreek is 3 capsules/3 times a day, or as many as it takes to make you smell like maple syrup. Fenugreek is tolerated well in most individuals but do watch out for gastrointestinal upset. Also, here's a good informational page on fenugreek, including contraindications (not a LLL source) -- http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

Don't give up! With the right amount of motivation and perserverance, you can overcome this. It just takes a few weeks of really hard work and determination

Best of luck to you.

Default Re: I stopped Bf for almost 3 weeks, and i want to restart, but I havent had any results

I called the ped and he advised to get her on a diet, half and half of formula and water, I asked about Bf and he said that it would be better if we didnt do it then until her stomach got better, so we did so, and she got back to normal.
    It wasn't your mistake, just misinformation. What's wrong with your ped? Formula is more harsh on a baby tummy than BM! If I might suggest, change ped, he will sabotage your BF relationship, who knows what his next suggestion will be -"a honey sucker to make the baby sweeter"-.

Anyway sweetie, I'll send you some links that will help re-establish your supply, but it will take time and dedication. Before you try any meds try using some herbs like fenugreek, blessed thistle and alfalfa. You'll have to pump very frequently, like every time that your baby eat; try using a SNS b/c you'll still have to supplement your baby, decrease the use of formula gradually. Every time you can put the baby to the breast, the more stimulation you get the more chances to get your supply up, so when baby cry don't use a paci, pacify him at the breast. If you can expend a day or a weekend just nursing the baby, eating and resting well, a lot of skin to skin contact, etc. Watch your baby diaper output through this whole process, you want to make sure he's eating well. Patience and perseverance will take you a long way.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/relactation.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

Good luck! Keep looking around the forum, there's a lot of great suggestions!

Thanks a lot for the wise words.. hard lesson to be learned...
    We've been going at it every 2 hours (except at night, that we did it two times), and I havent gotten the fenugreek yet, but I dont know if its my imagination, but this afternoon I started feeling some differences in the base of the breasts, like they're starting to "wake up" (dont know if that makes sense) but theres something going on... could it be milk, or my eager imagination?

I have to go now, cause shes waking up, ill be back later.

Thank u thank u thank u!!!

Smile Re: I stopped Bf for almost 3 weeks, and i want to restart, but I havent had any results

OMG!!!!!
    I'm soooo happy, u have no idea how great this feels!!!

I was feeling so down, having one of those not so good being a mom kind of day, 'cause I hadnt been seeing more changes in the relactation issue and shes sick, (has an ear infection), so I was all low and sad, and suddenly, 5 minutes ago, i was checking the breasts, and omg!!! drops actually fell, I let them roll in my hands mesmerized as if they were gold, tears rolling and all!!!

I tried to wake her up, and she's in a very deep sleep (argh!! ONE time that I was hoping she'd wake up at 1 am!!!); so i guess i have no choice but to wait for her to wake up....

Im am i blown off by the empowering feeling that i can give her antibodies and all again, thank you so much for the support, I couldnt have gone trough it without your information and help, now i guess i'll move on to the increasing your supply section, hehe...

OMG!! now i cant sleep!!!
    Well, i better try hard, or ill resent it later, lol....

Woa....

I'm so happy for you!! Perseverance always pays!