Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oatmeal at night?

Default Oatmeal at night?

Okay my MIL got me thinking, she asked if we had tried feeding Xman his oatmeal at night before bed instead of in the morning (or doing both) to help us all get a little more sleep at night. He's still nursing every 2-3 hours all night and lately it's starting to take it's toll. We do BLS, but I do feed DS his oatmeal (not the baby oatmeal stuff) on the mornings he has it, we alternate between oatmeal and apples and cheerios and bananas so that some mornings he feeds himself.

Has anyone else used cereal at night to help their LO's sleep? Would it be bad for him or anything? I think at night DS is more comfort nursing than anything, but I'm never awake enough to tell for sure!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Oatmeal at night?

Everything I've read/heard says that feeding a baby oatmeal/cereal at night does not guarantee they'll sleep longer. It's presented as fact, and many of our parents were told this is true, but it's never been proven to be the case.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

meg, there was a whole thread on this. i think jess, started it. i'll try to find it. a bunch of people swear by it. unfortunately it didn't work for me though
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Thanks!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Meg, just wanted to add that we were feeding Coop oatmeal at night for a long time, and it didnt help him sleep any longer. As he is getting older, he is going longer stretches, but with him just learning to crawl and pulling up on everything he was back to waking every 2-3 hours. Last night it was 4-5 hours so we are getting back to a better nights sleep.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Hi, Just wanted to say I tried it a few times and it didnt work much to my sadness. The day will come soon I hope where I will get a good sleep.

We didn't attempt the oatmeal until after 12 months... I'm thinking that a baby that is not nutritionally ready to sleep through the night just wont.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Just wanted to share my experience because giving cereal at night worked for us, but I want to stress that all babies are different and what works for one may well not work for another.

My son started sleeping through the night from 5mths (yeah, I know, I was stunned too!). Then around 6 1/2 mths he started waking up a lot at night. We introduced rice cereal (mixed with pumped BM) and he started sleeping through again, esp when he had it right before bed.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009