Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping through the night?

Default sleeping through the night?

Hi all,

I have a friend who is concerned about her newborn(5weeks old) starting to do 5 hours streches of sleep. My dr suggested for my DD to wake her up till she was 6 weeks old. I don't want to scare her and tell her this if it's not necessary.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Lasbi

Default Re: sleeping through the night?

I don't have an answer, but I was just going to post almost this exact question! My ds is 8 wks old and he'll sleep 6-7 hrs at a stretch at night if I let him; he was slow to gain weight for the first few weeks so we were told to feed him every 3 hrs. Now that he's gained well I'd love to sleep through the night if it's not bad for him. I was also wondering if it negatively affects your milk supply to go that long--it took me so long to build it up, I want to be sure not to do anything detrimental.

Thanks for letting me jump into this thread!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I was told at my baby's 1 month check up that if they have gained their birthweight back already, then it's OK to let them sleep. And, I did and my LO slept for 8-9 hrs straight the first few months. She's now 7 months old and weighs 2.5 times her birthweight! and I still have plenty of milk. (But, she no longer sleeps 8-9 hrs anymore ...)
    Last edited by cmp12345; September 20th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Hi there!
    I was doing some research on this myself because my ds has wanted to sleep long stretches at night from day one! I think it was the first question I asked when I joined this forum.

Unfortunately I do not remember where I read it because I've read so many things, but from what I have read, after the first two weeks it's fine to let them sleep longer stretches as long as they are gaining well. But those first couple weeks you should wake your baby to eat.

Sorry I don't remember where I read this information!
    Everything I've read though seemed to also state that longer stretches are completely fine for the baby gaining well.

Hope this helps! I also hope someone with more information for you will post.

Thanks a lot ladies!!!