Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping through the night?

Default Sleeping through the night?

Hi all,

I have a friend who is concerned about her newborn(5weeks old) starting to do 5 hours streches of sleep. My dr suggested for my DD to wake her up till she was 6 weeks old. I don't want to scare her and tell her this if it's not necessary.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Lasbi

Default Re: Sleeping through the night?

I've always been a firm believer in letting sleeping babies sleep. Unless there's some medical issue that requires you to wake the baby - let the baby sleep =)

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Wow, I haven't heard of that. I heard that when babies sleep all day that you need to wake them every 2 hours to eat. To get them used to being awake during the day. You shouldn't wake them during the night..that's the time they need to get used to sleep. I hate the way the nurses in the hospital tell you that you need to wake your baby up because babies wake when they're hungry. Waking them up to eat is stupid.

I've only heard of people being told to wake their baby if the baby is having weight gain issues. If her baby is gaining well and eating well during the day I don't think she should worry about waking the baby up. Enjoy it while it last.

Thank you sooo much for your reply!!

She decided not to wake up her baby

A little late in reading this, but I agree - don't wake a sleeping baby in the night. My baby care bible, Baby 411, says no need to wake a sleeping baby at night as long as he/she was back up to birth weight at 2 weeks and does not have weight gain problems.

Just my 2 cents

Amy

I've heard of something called dream feeding where you have the baby wrapped and offer the breast while there asleep but not waking them, some babies will then feed if they want to, it is usually suggested if baby isn't gaining a lot of weight and going for long periods in the night with out feeding, but as other ladies have said I would just let baby sleep as long as there happy and plus mum gets her rest,

I asked my dr about this at our last visit (my LO is 3 weeks today) and she told me to wake her every 3/4 hours during the night. I hate doing this, but I dont want her to be hungry and she seems to be gaining weight fine.
    Sarah, mom of :
    Allie Shannon-8-31-07--7lbs. 1 oz

Unless there is a medical issue, at night, let sleeping babies sleep!

Dunno about this. My baby sometimes sleeps for about three hour stretches and sometimes I let him but I don't like to. I find that if I wake him up when he usually eats -every two hours- we get through breastfeeding easier because he's hungry but comfortable. If I wait for him to wake up, he'll wake up when he's starving and be really fussy so it's harder to feed him.