Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long does your lo nurse?

Default how long does your lo nurse?

My lo will be a year in a week. She nurses twice a day, morning and evening. She takes ebm at day care. When she nurses, she nurses for 2-3 minutes. That can not be enough, can it? I am really wondering if the gets enough milk just by nursing. I want to stop pumping, and I am considering bf her while with her. She refused to nurse during the day....

I guess I am really wondering if these two very short session of nursing will provide her enough.... or if I should give other source of milk.....

How long are your LO nursing?

Default Re: how long does your lo nurse?

My lo just turned a year and he nurses for about 4 min total. Lately he will not nurse during the day unless he is super tired, but will nurse at night. I have held off on giving him cow's milk. I just make sure he eats some yogurt or cheese each day along with high calorie foods. I guess I will know at his 15 month check up if it is enough.

Thank, sounds like my LO...

Any other inputs? Thank you ladies...

My daughter has never nursed longer than 5 min on one breast, and I've often wondered if she's getting enough. She will be 1 yr. on Tuesday. *sniff* For the last month or so, she has only been willing to BF twice a day - first thing in the morning and then I sneak in an extra BF at night when she's asleep and less likely to resist. I really wish she would BF more, but she may decide to wean soon. She really enjoys yogurt and cheese, so hopefully she will like cow's milk as well.

New Mama.... our little girls have the same birthday. Mine will also be one on tuesday !!!

my dd has never nursed for longer than a few minutes on each side either. she will be a year old in about a week and she nurses for maybe 2-3 minutes on each side before scampering off to investigate whatever had caught her eye!!!

My nearly 18 month old twins each nurse about 10 minutes first thing in the AM and 15-20 minutes right before bedtime during the work week (plus 1-2 more times each on weekends). I seldom nurse them at the same time.

When I pump, I empty pathetically slowly -- like 30-60 minutes), and maybe that has to do with why my kids nurse longer? They are thin, but growing well.

i noticed that at around 6-7 months DS started power nursing. he would spend a few minutes, tops, and then delatch. around that time i read something, and don't remember where, about how babies become better and better at nursing as they age, and can get the milk out with lightening speed. so i never worried.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    New Mama.... our little girls have the same birthday. Mine will also be one on tuesday !!!
    Congrats on nursing for one year!!

My DD just turned 2 and I have the opposite problem. She wants to nurse all day and all night. She always did. Around 9-10 months she slowed down a lil but not much. She nurses some days up to 10 times. Some are for a few min. others maybe 45 min. Is this normal?