Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding from a bottle

Wink Breastfeeding from a bottle

Hello I am new to these forums and just wanted to ask some questions about breastfeeding from a bottle.

My daughter is almost 3 weeks old and i've decided to start pumping milk and then feeding her with a bottle. What I want to know is when I go somewhere, like shopping or whatever and I need to take a bottle with me...do I just take the milk out of the fridge and put it in a bottle and take it with me? will it stay good for a certain number of hours after taking it out of the fridge? do I need to carry it in a cold pack or something?

Also how long does breast milk stay good in the fridge?

If anyone could help me out with this stuff that'd be great..thanks for your time

Default Re: Breastfeeding from a bottle

Is there a reason you need to offer the bottle so soon? Are you returning to work? Pumping too soon can affect your supply. I actually ended up with an overactive letdown from pumping too early on. Also, offering a bottle that early may result in the baby getting confused (another issue I had to overcome early on) Just some things to consider. For the first several weeks your baby's suck will help to determine/regulate your milk supply, so you will make the right amt of milk for your LO.

Most pumps come with instruction manuals on safe handling of breastmilk. I know it can be kept a room temp longer than formula. I'm sure someone will have a good link to guidelines!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I was told breastmilk is ok for 4 hours at average room temp, 24 hours in the fridge (not the door), 3 months in the freezer. You will need to keep it in a cool bag with ice to store during outings.

If you'd rather breastfeed (from breast rather than bottle) you could try using a sling and feeding while your baby is in there - keeps prying eyes at bay. It's a LOT easier in the short and long term. You can cause difficulties for yourself by expressing and bottle feeding.

Good luck and happy shopping
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

I think LLL says breastmilk is good for 8hrs at room temperature, 10 days in the fridge, 3 months in a freezer attached to a fridge, and 6+ months in a manual defrost deep freeze. That's what I follow and I've never had problems.

Also keep in mind that pumping and then feeding will talke twice as long. I had to do that in the begginning for my premmie and I was exhausted. It was so much easier when we finally got to a point where he could just nurse.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel