Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 17 mo nursing constantly and ready to deliver

Default 17 mo nursing constantly and ready to deliver

I have a 17 mo DS and he wants to nurse constantly. He can't play by himself and he won't really even play with me when I try to. I try to do puzzles, leggo's, read books, etc. and he doesn't want any of that. He just wants to nurse. And usually if I try to distract him he will just cry until he gets to nurse. Sometimes he will take a drink or snack though. Is this normal for the age or what? I am 8 months pregnant and exhausted and I don't know what I'm going to do with the new baby. I'm almost afraid I won't be able to BF because DS is so clingy. I have no help from friends or family to distract him. Anyone else have a similar situation or any ideas about what to do? There's no way he is ready to wean (he is night weaned though). I guess I did a good job with AP but now I feel like I overdid it.

Default Re: 17 mo nursing constantly and ready to deliver

How long has this been going on? Is it a new/recent occurence of just status quo for his nursing pattern? DD is 18 mos and she's been through several phases where all she wants to do is nurse ALL the time. It usually coincides with teething, not feeling well, or a big developmental milestone she's getting ready to achieve. I think it's her way of reconnecting with me and getting some security as she tries something new.
    Also one of my friends is tandem nursing and she said that her oldest started nursing more as birth of the second approached and it peaked during the first few weeks the baby was home. After that is went back to a more normal pattern for a toddler. She said she REALLY wanted to throw in the towel, but it was worth it to stick it out and it helped curb the jealousy.
    That said, at that age, it's ok to say "wait" and "later" and have LO be a little upset for a few minutes. It's not refusing to nurse, it's just asking them to accept your personal limits and boundaries.
    Good luck, mama.

My experience was similar, though my elder son was 26 months when his brother was born. Around the time of the birth he nursed a lot more for a while. I think partly it was insecurity, partly he liked the colostrum after having virtually zero milk through most of my pregnancy. Then after the birth he was really pleased to have lots of milk again! he nursed virtually as often as the new baby for a few weeks, and yes, it was exhausting, but it did settle and I think it was worth it.
    No real advice I'm sorry, but I can empathise - it will get better though, I'm sure.

Thanks for the help. I did notice a few weeks ago that there was colostrom again. Maybe it has something to do with it, but he was always a very avid nurser anyway.

does he talk much?
    sometimes once they have a few words they do much beter.
    Signing helps some kids that age not to get frustrated so much!

He doesn't talk much but we don't sign because DH is Italian he is learning to speak two languages.

My LO is 17 mo and just got over a phase exactly like this. Her molars were making a push through and when they did fianlly break through, it subsided a bit. The last time we were at the doc she said that it is normal at this age because they are teetering between dependence and independence, which is scary for them so they feel they need the security of mama, which in this case, is nursing.

If nothing else, look on the bright side and consider this the last bit of snuggle time between you and your LO before LO #2 is born. Cherish the time together before you are chasing a toddler and taking care of a newborn, too!
    Robin