Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Instructions

Unhappy Horrible Instructions

My sister just had a beautiful baby boy. She had his first check-up. She took home care instructions that included the following:
    "by 2-4 months baby should be in his/her own crib. Preferably, s/he should be in their own room. This will keep the baby from DISTURBING THE PARENTS, should they wake at night and/or early in the morning"

I am horrified. She is currently co-sleeping, but she is so insecure and second guessing about it, because of our freaking societal norm to separete from our babies. This just makes me so upset. Nervous new mothers will listen to these instructions against their gut, because they feel Doc. knows best. It just makes me sick.
    Sorry, just needed to vent

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: Horrible Instructions

Congrats on your new niece!

I agree with you on the fact that first-time moms are looking for support / advice from their doc about how they are raising their babes, cause I did the same thing! Doc says feed every 3 hrs, so there I was bf with a clock next to me...luckily I realized it wasn't working for us so I ditched their advice and began feeding on demand.
    Now, my LO has been sleeping in her own room since day one, but her room is right next door and I have the baby monitor on loud and wake at her every movement. It works for us right now b/c she sleeps well in her bedroom, but if that changes we will bring her in our room. I can't believe it says to seperate the baby so you don't get disturbed by them! Thats crazy talk! I guess they are suggesting not to feed or change or comfort your baby till you roll out of bed? Bad, bad advice! Lucky your sister has you to support her!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    "by 2-4 months baby should be in his/her own crib. Preferably, s/he should be in their own room. This will keep the baby from DISTURBING THE PARENTS, should they wake at night and/or early in the morning"
    SHOCKING!!!!

What's next? An instructions telling us NOT TO HAVE ANY CHILDREN becoz they will DISTURB THE PARENTS?

On the note of horrible instructions .... the first ped to see lo in the hospital told me I was only to feed her 6 times a day and for only 10 minutes on each side. He also told me not to feed her between the hours of 12 and 6 am.

Good thing for mommy instinct!! I feed the heck out of that little baby every time she needed it lol!

The same guy also told me to give her water for her jaundice and when she had blood in her diaper told me it was normal but gave no explanation. I left the office crying and changed peds that day!
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

This really is disgraceful. I am at a loss for words.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

What's next? An instructions telling us NOT TO HAVE ANY CHILDREN becoz they will DISTURB THE PARENTS?
    LOL: That is exactly how i feel about doctors. So many times they "prescribe" things because its makes it easier on parents. Parenting infants is not about the parents. Get real.

I am so glad someone posted this topic. I am a new mom and am 24 years old. I have been working like a mad woman trying to do what the docter said. and everyone else for that matter. Feed "no more then" (intently) every 2 hours. Dont co sleep with the baby. Let the baby cry. (at 2 weeks), and the list goes on and on. Finally my husband and I just gave up with the advice and just decided to follow our own instincs.

I really think the worst thing you can do to a new mom is make her feel like her instincts are wrong.

did the instructions also say where the ON/OFF button was?

whoever wrote it, obviously does not have children.

mummies should just do what they feel is best for their child. i had a lot of people visiting to see baby, and they all gave me their own "words of wisdom" but i just nodded and smiled and forgot all about it.

That's awful. PP is right--the best thing you can do for your baby is trust your instincts and your ability to take care of him or her!

God forbid our babies disturb us. Disgusting. At my son's 2 month, I had a ped tell me to let him cry and put him in his own room. DISGUSTING. I switched and decided that the whole medical profession is a crock. Well, I'm exaggerating a little.

Tell her that after some REAL research, it's pretty well known that co-sleeping helps reduce the risk of SIDS and helps the entire family get more quality sleep.

My new philosophy? If you have a baby, sleep with them.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion