Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help

Default Need Help

Hi, can anyone please help, Have had a 2 week break and am restarting breastfeeding. Am trying dd on breast at every feed and sometimes she takes it, sometimes not, she is fussing at breast but is going on sometimes, not all time, but is start! She is sucking for about 5-15 mins (being the longest period!) then comes off and is fussing so I usually end up giving her either EBM from a bottle or formula. I am expressing with an Ameda pump now that I have hired. Am usually managing to get between 1-3 ounces, 3 being in the mornings! Anyway, am offering dd breast at other times as well, when sleepy, tired and she sometimes taking it, which is a step up from before! How can I get her to stay on the breast when she on it?!! Have tried dripping milk down breast into her mouth but need dh to help with that so can't do it when on own! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much. Just a wee note, had HV in his morning and put dd on breast while she was here and she thinks dd is pulling off breast as she has reflux, she is on Gaviscon powder which I add to bottles for reflux. So, I think I am needing positions for breastfeeding that don't bother her reflux! Please can anyone help!

Default Re: Need Help

Try switch nursing. Nurse on one side, then the other, then go back to the first side.

This doesn't replace supplements, but it will help your supply.

Skin to skin contact can be a HUGE help. So can babywearing and co-sleeping. That's really basic info, though, and probably not the technical information you're looking for. Here's some info on getting baby back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Here's some info on bfing and reflux (including positioning tips):
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...refluxsymptoms

Keep us updated!

Thanks everyone for your advice. The good news is, dd has latched on few times and fed so that is something, have been trying using an eyedropper when she is on the breast, to dribble milk into corner of her mouth and that seems to work, but only whn she is in humour for it! Am feeling more positive about BF which is good, am offering her breast before every bottle and sometimes she latches on and sometimes she dosen't. Have also bought a sling, which she seems to like, although have not mastered how to feed her in it yet so if anyone has any tips, would be greatly appreciated!! She is also getting EBM so I don't think there is a problem with my milk supply. I will continue to keep offering the breast and hopefully we will get there in the end!

:tumbsup KEEP IT UP MAMA!!!!