Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing for comfort

Default nursing for comfort

My DD seems to nurse sometimes just to relax, not specifically to eat. As a result she is at the breast sometimes every 2 hours. Is it because she just likes the closeness? Is this normal for a baby.

Default Re: nursing for comfort

You sound concerned your DD may be nursing too much?
    How old is your DD?
    Nursing for closeness is very normal, at any age. Breastfeeding is not only food, but security, warmth and closeness. As they reach toddlerhood, nursing is not the only way to acheive those things, but it can be an important way to convey those feelings.
    Nursing a toddler can be a great way for them to go explore, then re-connect with you, then feel secure enough to go off exploring again.
    Can you tell us more about your situation and your concerns?

Mary

My daughter is 2 1/2 she does the same thing. I am pregnant and am scheduled for a c-section on July 6th. And she comfort nurses most the day sometimes now.

DD is almost 4 months old. I enjoy her being close to me and don't mind her nursing as often as she wants. I was just concerned if she comforts herself with me, how will she comfort herself if i'm not there. I only want her to be happy and don't want to do anything to cause her a problem due to my own ignorance about babies.

You are doing the best for her. If this is your first baby, you probably feel overwhelmed by all the decisions you need to make to raise her to be a happy and healthy person. It's easy to feel "worried." The first year flies by and until she starts eating solids, she will want to be "attached" to you almost constantly. Soon, she will be so busy exploring she might not want to nurse as often and solids may keep her full longer. You're on the right track. Enjoy and bask in these nursing marathons. My ds is almost 11 months and already doesn't nurse as often and I know when the time comes for him to wean...I will miss it terribly.

Something else that came to mind is that comfort is like a deposit you make into a bank. You fill it with unlimited amounts of "comfort" and when it comes time to make a withdrawal...i.e. you're not around for a few hours...She'll be fine. So nurse away while you can. You are actually ensuring that she will be a happy baby even when mom's not around temporarily.

Hi dorothy evangelines mom,

It sounds like your instincts are right on target and that you are truly enjoying the closeness and bonding of "mothering through breastfeeding".

R&JJJ, I love the idea about comfort being like a deposit in the bank! That is a beautiful way of describing it, thank you! Meeting their needs for closeness and security now will fill them up so much that they will have enough love in the bank to get through whatever challenges lay ahead.

I found a couple of links you may be interested in:
    Will I Spoil My Baby by Holding/nursing Him So Often?
    So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

And I love this quote from Dr. Grantly Dick-Read. "A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and the security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three." (You probably can tell I borrowed from that quote in my first post! )

I hope this helps!

Warmly,
    Mary

I moved this to Infant Breastfeeding Questions for more replies.

Mary

Any suggestions for my hubby to try when I am at work and DD wants to comfort nurse? She doesn't take a nubbie/paci very often and never when upset. He is frustrated that I nurse her whenever she wants regardless if it's because she is hungry or just wants to. He says it makes it harder on her when I am at work and she can't nurse. He says she gets upset because she expects me to be there and doesn't understand that i'm not and doesn't understand why I don't pick her up and nurse her. This makes me feel bad. I don't want her to think I am ignoring her when in fact I am not even home but at work. I don't want to pump exclusively and not breast feed but she only cries herself to sleep now since she is used to being held and nursing to sleep. If she would be happier with a bottle then I would do it but, maybe selfishly, I enjoy our nursing time as cuddle time.