Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby trying to wean himself from my

Default Baby trying to wean himself from my

My DS is 9 months and he eats once at night and then 6,10, and 12:00 after 12:00 he will not nurse again untill about 5:00 in the evening. Then he nurses once more. He eats solids twice a day. Is he trying to wean himself from nursing?

Default Re: Baby trying to wean himself from my

I don't think he is trying to wean himself, he is just busy, and when he eats he just gets the job done! My son will sometimes go all day with only nursing a few times (although he is still an all night grazer...but only a grazer, not a big eater, just likes the boob in his mouth while sleeping!) because he is SOOOO busy, crawling, playing and such. You would be surprised at how much he is probably getting from you those few times he eats! My son takes 5 to 6 oz at a feeding (we have weighed him to measure!) so your son probaby does about the same, (just about the same age as mine!) and if he is nursing 5 or 6 times a day that is still 30-36 oz of breastmilk. I would say that is a lot!

Is he getting any other fluids besides your milk? How are his diapers...enough wet ones?

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by southerngirl
    My DS is 9 months and he eats once at night and then 6,10, and 12:00 after 12:00 he will not nurse again untill about 5:00 in the evening. Then he nurses once more. He eats solids twice a day. Is he trying to wean himself from nursing?

ditto the pp plus babies will not self wean until 18-24 months of age. It's not that.

I put water in a cup and he drinks maybe 1 oz if that. Also, he has plenty of wet diapers. Should I express and put milk in his cup or will this make him not want to breastfeed?

If you have concerns about him not getting enough milk, you could always replace the water with expressed milk, but I don't think one ounce of water is making him not eat at the breast. I bet he is getting enough of your milk, he is just very efficient, and VERY busy!

You could always try laying down with him in a dark (or darker) room and nurse in there. I do that on occasion with my son just to get him to stop popping of my breast (which can be painful). It seems to work. You just have to take all the distractions away!

Sarah