Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: working late shift

Default working late shift

I am working from 11pm-7am so I will be away while my DD is sleeping. My question is how much can she sleep in the day (so I can get a little sleep) and it not keep her awake all nite?

Default Re: working late shift

I would think you could figure that out with a little experimentation. You'll soon find something that works for both of you!

I can't remember how old your baby is, but most infants need about 14hrs of sleep per 24-hour period. So, experiment with how you're going to break up those hours, so that you can catch some zzz's, yet she'll still sleep at night, too.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I have been working 11-7shift. My DH was completely unable to get my DD to sleep (she is 4 months on the 10th). She freaks out and cries herself into a near coma like state where she breaths unevenly and in gasps. I saw this when I came home early last nite (no work to do). I couldn't wake her at first, I picked her up and walked with her patting her little back, it took about 15 minutes to rouse her. AND I had only been gone for an hour and a half!! Therefore I am switching to day shift. I am thinking that might work out better since I get off at 5pm and willl have all evening with her, be here to get her to sleep and for an overnite feed if she wants. Then I can feed her before work in the morning. I hope that after a good nites sleep and a good start to her day she will be a little happier with him? He says she is worse for him because I hold her so much. I will let her sit in her bouncy chair if she acts like she wants to or if she will for a minute while I eat or something but for the most part I hold her or let her sit in my lap or with me ( I also have a baby sling). He says my holding her so much makes it harder on her because that is something else he can't do like bf her. I think she doesn't like him to hold her because he is kinda a stranger. He does change diapers sometimes and will bring her to me to feed her but he tends to put her in the bouncy chair and play computer games (I have seen this when i ask him to hold her while I cook dinner). I will comee back out of the kitchen to see why she is so upset and crying and she is parked in her bouncy chair and he is in front of the computer, I will ask what is going on and he will say he was jusy getting up to get her. We have talked about that and hopefully he doesn't do this while I am gone. Do you think she will be happier with the day shift arangment? I have to work right now and want to do what ever will make her happiest.

Working the day shift is usually easier for babies to adjust to. There's still going to be an adjustment period, but they're also used to being up and playing during the day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!