Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We're only night nursing...want DD in crib

Question We're only night nursing...want DD in crib

I am a full-time working Mom and never pumped (Sitter used to come to work with me). So, at twelve months I slowly day weaned, which actually was really easy to do. Now at 14 months, my DD nurses to sleep for the night but then seems to nurse all night. We have pretty much co-slept since DD was born, which means that I haven't slept in the same bed as my husband in over a year! Husband is a roller and it just doesn't work when we have all three slept together. So, my question is, how much is it going to suck to get DD in her crib? I am thinking that it will be ridiculous to get up every 1-2 hours to nurse her at this age to put her down to bed again, I mean, she is not a newborn. So, is this time to totally night wean? I feel pretty ambivelant about the weaning but strongly about getting her in her crib once and for all. Any ideas?

Default Re: We're only night nursing...want DD in crib

I look forward to reading responses! My DD2 nurses at night all the time, and quite frankly I don't feel like getting up to put her to bed, and to listen to her cry, etc...either... So, I take the easy way out, and let her stay with me.

I put DD2 and DS3 to bed in their own beds but they both end up in my bed before morning!!

I imagine it will be difficult to get your DD into a crib/own bed now.... Good luck!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Thanks for the thread!

I am wondering if she is making up for the day weaning by nursing all night. Maybe she really wasn't ready to totally day wean yet? IDK.

My first lo totally day weaned himself at around the same age but continued to night nurse. When I night weaned him he picked back up on the days. He clearly had sucking needs still and needed to meet them at some point. And while it was nice having him in the crib finally at 15 months. I found that it backfired. At 2 he crawled out of his crib and I had a really rough time transitioning him to his bed. In retrospect I think he just hadn't been in his crib for very long. With my latest lo I skipped the crib all night phase and just waited till he was closer to 2 to night wean and then transitioned him to his bed. He does great and if he ever wants us close for some reassurance it's really easy to just lay next to him for a few minutes.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Wish I could offer advice. If it makes you feel any better, I was just coming on to post the same thread that you posted. My 15MO is needing to nurse to sleep and to get back to sleep in the middle of the night. I end up going to bed with her every night (sometimes at 8:30) and fall asleep trying to get her to sleep. I am so tired bc I my sleep is so broken up every night. I am thinking of trying Dr. Gordan's plan and see how that works. I think I will try to stop the nursing first, then will work on getting her in her own bed. I may just try to wait until she is ready for a big bed bc I have a feeling it is too late for the crib. Please keep us posted if you have any progress and I will do the same! Good luck!

we have DS's crib right next to our bed. we moved him in there about two months ago when his fitful sleeping was keeping everyone awake. up until recently, he's only woken up a couple of times to nurse, i'll take him out, and then he goes right back in after he's done. it's worked out great for us. however, now we're dealing with teething and he's nursing all night long. i feel like a zombie.
    but, anyways, would moving the crib right next to your bed work for you?
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Well, I just posted a thread in the "sleep" section. I really don't know if night nursing is the issue or something else. I just can't figure this kid out. I am seriously considering trying Dr. Gordon's method but want to psyche myself up for it. She might be making up for not nursing during the day at night but I work full-time so I really don't want to start pumping now...thinks for all your thoughts and support. Not sure if moving the crib to our bed will help but it might. However, I think she will just move over to me, or on top of me, which she frequently does...jeez these little one's are such a mystery!

Just want to say that I came back to the boards today after a lonnnnnggggggg time for the same problem. I work full time. I stopped pumping and leaving milk when he started eating more in the day. But he wants to nibble and nurse all night. We are co-sleeping except for the fact that I feel like during the day I am sleep-walking and he is zooming around with apparently no side-effects. I will check back to hear how things go. Good vibes your way.