Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why does my supply keep dropping...ways to get it back and stay?

Default Why does my supply keep dropping...ways to get it back and stay?

I swear my supply keeps dropping and I am not sure why. I feed on demand even though my little guy (5.5 months old) has figured out some what of a feeding routine as far as eating around the same times each day. I also pump in the morning and at night to store the milk for when I am gone etc. I have been drinking a lot of water so fluid intake isn't the issue and eating pretty good.

The only thing I can think of is that I "think" that I might have gotten my period but not sure if it was just spotting my from IUD. I am also loosing a lot of hair...could it just be a dip in my hormones?

Normally I only pump about 2-3 ounces from each breast per pumping session but the last day or so I would be lucky to get 1-2 from each. This isn't the first time this has happened either. I even got a new pump thinking that was the cause but it happened again.

Any suggestions on why my supply keeps dropping? And is there anything I can do to get it to be really strong so I don't have to worry about this again?

Thanks
    Beth

Default Re: Why does my supply keep dropping...ways to get it back and stay?

IUD could be it...mommyluvsu is dealing with a similar issue. she has a post called "beer wtf". I believe she is using the herb that starts with a "f". I know my supply dips due to pumping, especially towards the end of the week. I try to eat something with oatmeal in it once a day, take my prenatals, and eat a healthy diet. Missing any of those can cause a dip in my supply..

As far as the hair lost, that's normal... I am going thru mine too... You hair doesn't shed much during preganacy, now it is making up for it.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I have been having issues too, and I do take Fenugreek supplements, but I accidentally forgot for a few days and I wasn't drinking as much water.

I am hoping that if I pay attention to these details it will come back.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Mine drops as hormones change. I add extra pumping to keep it up. I also try to feed more often (though if my supply drops, she does that on her own) Usually a couple of days of an extra session and I'm back to normal.

Hair loss can be a sign of thyroid problems. Are you also losing a fair amount of weight? Maybe you should go get your thyroid checked, that definitely affects your milk supply. I had a huge dip in supply when I got AF back till I start taking a Ca/Mg/Zn supplement every day, the calcium helps prevent some of the problems associated with hormones from your cycle.