Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding to long

Default feeding to long

my 5 week old has just fed for 2 hours each side 4 in total and then downed 5oz of expressed from a bottle what im i doing wrong

Default Re: feeding to long

You may not be doing anything wrong. babies at the age comfort suck. it doesn't mean they are "eating". My baby sucked longer b4 I introduced the pacifier. Also, babies will take a bottle just because you offer. Is there a reason you offered the bottle after the feeding?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

yes because after 4 hours i was sore and he was still rooting for more and crying

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My LO comfort nurses as well. I don't mind as long as we are at home and have no place to go. She is 11 weeks old now and has found her hands. She spends more time sucking on her fingers. I know when she is really eating when she is swallowing.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnowens2 View Post
    yes because after 4 hours i was sore and he was still rooting for more and crying
    Are you sure he's hungry? One trick is to offer you "finger" as a pacifier. Use your pinky finger with the nail on the tounge. If he's sucking this and seems to be content, then it's comfort sucking.. if it doesn't satisfy, he may be hungry....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Hi there!
    How has your baby's weight been? How about his wet and dirty diapers.

When a baby nurses for that long and still acts hungry, it concerns me that maybe he isn't transferring milk well from the breast. Are you having any pain or issues with latching? How do your nipples look when he comes off?

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My baby does the same thing... falls asleep and seems hungry after bf. Sucking for 2 hours is very long. I couldn't handle that. That's why I always give her a bottle after a feeding. It's a vicious cycle. In order to get her to bf I should probably eliminate bottle feeding, but bf is not working well and the baby still seems hungry. I don't know how long one should continue to force bf when the baby doesn't want to.