Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avocado

Default Avocado

Thomas will be 6 months old next week (!), and is eager (and from we can tell, ready) to begin trying some "real" food. I've decided to start with avocado, then probably sweet potato, and maybe cantaloupe. I know the avocado and sweet potato should be ok, and I have a mesh feeder for the cantaloupe (which will be a while, but I like to have a plan lol). I have several questions, but the first is how do you prepare avocado for a first feeding? Mash it? (Forgive what may seem obvious here, please ).

The sweet potato I think I'm ok on, but is there any reason not to let him taste cantaloupe? Does it tend to be allergenic? Is it the food of terrible mothers?

Thanks!

Default Re: Avocado

If he has his pincer grasp, you might try cutting the avocado into french-fry size and letting him self-feed. I don't know of any reason why not to give cantaloupe, but then again, my family doesn't seem to have many allergies, so I'm not the best person to comment.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Avocado was one my los first foods. He liked it pureed practically. If there was any chunks he was not having it! lol.

The only thing about cantaloupe is *I think* it is one of the dirty dozen. If it is maybe you could buy organic.

just mash the avacado until smooth. You can also add some breastmilk (or formula) to it to make it thinner. My son like his food really smooth and runny when he first started eating. My daughter, on the other hand, ate anything I put in front of her!

I still struggle with avocado with my son! no matter how small I make it (he picks things up pretty good) he gags on it until he throws up! I dont know if it is the texture or taste- (he is 8 mo) So needless to say we've moved on to other foods!!
    Just wanted to share my experience with avocado!

I've mashed sweet potatoes. He liked them okay, but choked some as it was a bit stringy
    You could also try cooked carrots and mush them up.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    I still struggle with avocado with my son! no matter how small I make it (he picks things up pretty good) he gags on it until he throws up!
    Poor thing! I gave DD fist sized french-fry like pieces of avocado. Which she loved and got everywhere. I recovered the pieces she discarded and mushed them up with a fork. Sometimes I puree it. If we are going to be out of the house that seems to work better for me. I look at solids time as play time. If she wants to see how far up her nose she can get mushed carrots, no problem.

I am going to try cantelope as soon as the melons are ripe. As for sweet potatoes they are not all stringy - it depends on what is available where you live. In my area, Giant has smooth creamy organic sweet potatoes but Wemans has stringy ones. And they look the same on the outside!

Here are some solid suggestions from kellymom.

My baby didn't like avocado the first couple of times we gave it to him (he isn't a picky eater, btw). However, I have a book of baby food recipes, and the author recommended mashed avocado with banana, and he'll only eat it that way.

Wife to Jung Sik, 10/07/05^^
    Mommy to Seung Jin, born 02/07/07

Thanks, everyone--based on your responses I think I'm brave enough to give it a try. So tonight Thomas gets avocado! Which I'm excited and very sad about. How can he be big enough for solid food already??