Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation with intro of solids?

Default constipation with intro of solids?

Hi! We introduced our 5mo to solids a few weeks back. we started with squash, moved to green beans, applesauce & sweet potatoes (all homemade) Brennan went from 3 poopies a day to one every 3 days is this normal? thanks in advance!

Default Re: constipation with intro of solids?

My baby's always had constipation issues, which of course got worse with solids. She went from one every 3 or so days to one every 5 or more days. The dr. said that every 3 days should be fairly normal and said to make sure not to give her any of the constipating foods especially if she's going logner than 3 days without a poop: apples, bananas, rice. She gets lots of prunes to help keep things moving. I've noticed avocado helps keep her fairly regular too. Hope that helps!

thanks! we will try avocado.....

Remember that constipation refers to dry, hard, difficult to pass stool, not stooling frequency.

If your baby is experiencing true constipation, you might try decreasing the solids, watching out for "constipating" foods, and breastfeeding more frequently.

Since breastmilk (or formula) is the basis of infant nutrition, it's best to breastfeed *before* offering solids. This will help assure that your baby is getting enough breastmilk while transitioning to solids.

Here's some more info:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

Yeah, forgot to mention the consistency of the poops. My poor girl goes through phases where they're little, rock-hard lumps that I can see her straining to get out. When that happens, I really ramp up on the prunes and avocado. (Actually, she prefers guacamole, but don't we all?) Also when they get bad like that, the dr. recommended giving her a little pear juice (like 1 oz at a time) to help. As an aside, putting the juice in a sippy cup I think has been giving her real incentive to learn to use the cup. She's like her mommy and has a real sweet tooth, so she LOVES the juice.

True constipation like my little girl's is supposedly very rare in breastfed babies, so I felt especially happy that I had put so much work into getting breastfeeding established when the doctor said if she were on formula, her constipation would probably be so bad that he'd recommend a visit to the gastroenterologist! Lucky we dodged that bullet!!!

Wow! That's a lot of solids already. He isn't even at the age to start them yet so I'm not suprised if he's having problems digesting them. My children couldn't sit up without support that young.

Be careful of avocados as they are big allergens. Feel free to scale back on the solids until you're really sure he's ready. I introduced solids to my two dd's at 7 1/2 months.

There is no hurry, nor any advantage to starting solids before a baby has all the signs of being ready. With my first, I didn't know better and kind of skimped on the full week for each new food. I didn't make that mistake with his sisters. Sometimes digestive problems and allergies don't show up for a few days. You can also see better what the "culprit" is.

HTH,
    Sharon

In response to being constipated.. I was told anything that started with a "P"
    would help.. prunes, pears, peaches... I had to start DS with cereal young as he had what they now refer to as REFLUX but they didn't have a name for it then... some 16+ yrs ago...
    I want to also point out that DS had and still has alot of food allergies...and asthma brought on by allergies.. I personally think for me that starting him early on solids had something to do with that.
    With DD I waited till she was at least 6 months before starting cereal and she had that for many months before moving on to anything else... in slow increments.

We had lots of experience with constipation after starting solids. We followed all the rules, no rice, no banana, etc. to no avail. About every three days my son, who was still largely bf would strain to poop hard pellety stools. On the pediatritions advice we started to use supositories once in a while. then stool softenter, and so on. I was at my witts end when a homeopath said what about flax seed oil. I mixed a bit 1/2 tsp with some organic maple syrup and my son loved it. It worked like a charm. I used it for two weeks once a day and then stopped and he hasn't been constipated since. I have since reccomended it to friends for their kids and it worked well for them too. I would not give it to a child who isn't strong or sitting upright well as well i would make sure that your child likes what it is mixed with so they don't choke on it.