Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning Parts with Lysol???

Default Cleaning Parts with Lysol???

At work, I have to pump in the bathroom and I clean my parts in the sink. I recognize that the sink is not very sanitary, but that's what I have to work with. I wondered though, if I could wash the parts in the sink and then perhaps spray them down with a disinfectant such as Lysol. Would this work? Or would the Lysol stay on the parts and taint the milk?

Your thoughts?

Default Re: Cleaning Parts with Lysol???

When my son was in the NICU and I had to pump there and clean my parts in the sink I brought a big tupperware like bowl from home and washed the parts in that. That was you can stick the bowl in the dishwasher and know that it's clean. If you do that then you shouldn't have to worry about the Lysol. You could also try those microwave disenfectant bags for extra cleaning if you're worried.

I don't think you want Lysol anywhere near food preparation. I would NOT spray any pump parts with Lysol. I think people have put their parts in the fridge or cooler, or bought spare kits (cheap used or new on ebay), or use the special wipes that can be bought for parts, or wash in sink and dry. No to Lysol.

Disinfectants like that aren't recommended for anything involved in food preparation. I rinse my pump parts without disassembling in hot water after each pumping session then use one of the steam sterilizer bags at the end of the day, take home to wash once a week or so. But if you have a big enough fridge you can just cover them bottles and all and leave in the fridge between pumpings for up to 24hrs.

I would definitely NOT use Lysol on anything involved in breastmilk prep!

If you don't have a good place to wash pump parts at work, what many moms do is put the pump parts in a clean ziplock type bag (and then in an non-see-through bag) and then put it in the fridge (or a cooler) until the next pumping session.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DO NOT USE LYSOL! I think that's a very dangerous idea. If your office has a microwave, get microwave sterilizer. If not, get an electric one, but PLEASE stay away from disinfectants!!!!! You could poison you child!

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I would definitely NOT use Lysol on anything involved in breastmilk prep!

If you don't have a good place to wash pump parts at work, what many moms do is put the pump parts in a clean ziplock type bag (and then in an non-see-through bag) and then put it in the fridge (or a cooler) until the next pumping session.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!