Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finally able to bf

Default Finally able to bf

Yeah, I got my baby to finally bf. She's 2.5 weeks. See my previous post on pumping. Basically, I wasn't able to get her to bf and was expressing my milk and bottle feeding her. She screams a lot, but when she finally latches on she sucks. Can I get some advice..

She is having so much trouble latching onto my left breast. She can on my right. My left breast produces twice as much breast milk as my right. Do you think it's just going to take practice? Why would she refuse one breast?

When she latches on correctly she sucks a few times and then pauses for a period of time. How in the world do I know if she is eating enough? I try to wake her, but she is sluggish or doesn't act interested in eating. I still give her milk from the bottle. I know maybe that's not good, but I'm worried she isn't eating enough.

Default Re: Finally able to bf

In the early days, my LO had a hard time latching on my left side. It subsided over time (I guess that no two nipples are the same??). That breast may flow faster than she can handle at this point.
    The only surefire way to know if she's eating enough is by looking at her output... is she getting enough wet and poopy diapers?
    Is there a LC in your area that you can check with to see that she is gaining weight and to maybe check the latch on the left side?

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It's so great that your LO is BF. I agree that the reason she is not as interested in that side is due to the amount of milk she is getting. It may be too much for her to handle all at once. With some practice she may come around.

A different position on that side might also help. A LC could also help with that.

I'm so happy for you and your lo. You feel great inside when you conquer such a huge accomplishment My dd also had a problem with my left breast in the beginning. Not because of an overabundance of milk but because of latching on. It was like she couldn't get comfortable. We "finally" found something that worked. I moved her so that her body was accross me flat up against mine. Her head was pretty much buried in my breast. I only had to do that for a few days though. Just keep trying different positions until you find one that works. Also, maybe you should express some before you feed her on that side if you feel like lo might be getting too much. I know it is alot of work but definitely worth it. Good luck and keep up the good work

Monica
    with my precious Emree Jewel who was born July 22, 2007.
    Still Always and loving every second.

i had some difficulty nursing on my left side too, but it was because i found it awkward to hold her on that side but it got better as she grew a bit bigger.

Hi there

Congratulations on getting her to latch ! And EXCELLENT first step.

It's pretty common for newborns to favor one breast over the other. It could be for any number of reasons--flow is different on that side, nipple is shaped differently, you might hold her differently, etc. Sometimes trying a different nursing position can coax a baby to nurse on the "difficult side". Other mothers have good success with getting baby latched on to the "easy" side and then quickly switching to the other side.

You said you were concerned about whether she is getting enough. Here is an article that can help you determine that:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

Even if you still need to give her some bottles right now, you should be able to gradually cut those back and work your way into exclusive nursing.

If she stops suckling, or gets a little sluggish at the breast, breast compressions can help encourage her to start suckling again:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

HTH! Hang in there mama. And please see about seeing a Leader or IBCLC in your area. Sometimes having someone to help you latch and position once or twice can make all the difference in the world.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I guess I'm too weak to give up bottle feeding. I can't stand her crying and bf is becoming such a negative experience for me. I hope with time she might get better at it and actually suck when I try to bf. Right now I exclusively pump.

boyercl,

First off

Whatever works for you have you tried to let her latch on while she is sleeping if she eats every 2 hours and she sleeps between you can put her to the breast while she is still asleep and see what happens. I did this a lot with my lo when he was first born because he was such an agressive sucker if he was awake he would make my toes curl . Now I still feed him in the morning while he is asleep. It is funny bc sometimes he wakes up like I know I should be hungry but I'm not

This is a GREAT place to be, we will encourage and help anyway we can.

Note: Lots of people are completely happy to exclusively pump, your lo is getting the best nutrition either way