Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying nursing for the 1st time

Unhappy Trying nursing for the 1st time

I did not nurse my first two children and I wanted to with my third but I got so much criticism from the hospital and even WIC that I got very depressed and discouraged and gave up. Now I am pregnant with my 4th and LAST child and I do not want to miss out on this experience. I have been told that it will be impossible since I didn't breastfeed the other 3 but I am desperate for a different opinion. Will it be impossible? Have I missed my chance? I know that as far as health issues go breastfeeding is the best possible thing I can do for my little one but mostly I want the bonding and closeness too.

Default Re: Trying nursing for the 1st time

It is definitely possible for you to BF your 4th child! It sounds like you really suffer from a lack of support, even from the hospital. Maybe they aren't making enough money and want more sick kids admitted! Okay that is not even funny, but it's very confusing that they would discourage bfing.
    Is there a LLL group in your area? I think some in-person support could make a big difference for you!
    You CAN do this! It's great that you found this forum for support and advice.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Plenty of other mommies here have formula fed their first couple and then nursed.

Has anyone told you WHY it's impossible (is there some medical condition)? If no medical condition, I see no reason why not to breastfeed!

Now I have to warn you that for many mommies the first 6-8 weeks of breastfeeding is tough and you may doubt yourself, but it is totally worth it.

Is there a local LLL meeting near you? If yes, get there now! I wish I had gone while pregnant because the support is great!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

No offense, but whoever told you that you can't bf this one because you didn't bf the others is an idiot. There is no reason why you can't bf your next baby. I highly encourage you to join the local LLL and surround yourself with people who will support and encourage you, not undermine and criticize you.

Congrat on your newest addition!

For the record, my mom formula fed 5 babies before deciding to breastfeed her 6th, and she did so without any problems at all.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

I am a week into feeding my 4th child. And so far it's going beautifully. I didn't feed the other 3 for different reasons. My last got the first couple of days before we went to bottle for lack of sucking reflex (like you in hind sight i would have tried harder but alas)

So from a mummy a few weeks ahead of you, it's going peachy You just have to be strict not to let the lure of ease and speed a bottle has to get you, specially with 3 little people running about!

Let me just say "YOU CAN DO IT!!!". I attempted bfing my first two girls and quit before the first week was over! This last time, I promised myself that I would give it my all! My LO is 5 months old now and is still bfing with no end in sight.
    Sure, it's more work, since I have a 2 and a 4 year old to keep up with. But it is absolutely possible and you will find it to be the most rewarding experience once you get through the first several weeks. (I've had thrush, clogged ducts, you name it.. and I wouldn't change it all for the world!!!).
    Best of luck to you!!!

Don't think you can't do it! You will have bumps, but if you bring them here, there are lots of moms to help you get over them! Then you can go back to whoever said you couldn't do it and tell them YES YOU COULD! Find local help now if it is available, LLL or LC, or take a class and bring your husband, it will be good to have him on board and knowledgeable to help you look at latch, etc...

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

You'll never know unless you try. I agree that the first few weeks are a bit hard but if you stick with it you'll never regret it! This is a great place to find support.

thank you guys so much. i am glad i decided to do some research and ask some questions before deciding not to try. you've been a big help and i will definately see if i can find local meetings as soon as we finish moving. thanks so much.

well, if a first time mummy can nurse, i don't see why a fourth time (!!) mummy can't. in fact i dare say you might hv it easier because as an experienced mum, you already know how to 'run the show'. go you!